How much do you know about figures on the world scene? (5)
1. What was the name of the priest murdered by Polish secret police in an anti- Solidarity action?
2. What was the name of the Soviet leader, general secretary of the CPSU 1964-82 and president 1977-82, the latter a period of external imperialism and internal stagnation?
3. Who succeeded Brezhnev as President of the USSR 1983-84, formerly head of KGB?
4. What is the name of the Panamanian soldier, effective ruler of Panama from 1983, a CIA informer, captured in 1989 and charged with drug smuggling and money laundering?
5. Who was the President, virtual dictator of the Philippines 1965-1986?
6. Who was elected President of Argentina in 1983 ending the military dictatorship?
7. Who is the former British Labour party leader (1983-92) who is now Vice President of the European Commission with responsibility for internal reform?
8. Who was the German socialist politician, formerly Mayor of West Berlin 195766; German foreign minister 1966-69; federal chancellor 69-74 and instigator of 'Ostpolitik'?
9. What is the name of the Cardinal elected Pope in 1978, first non-Italian Pope since 1522?
10. And what is his family name?
11. Who was the Sri Lankan Prime Minister in 1977, serving as the 1st President, 1978-88?
12. Who was the Italian Christian Democrat politician and twice Prime Minister due to become President, when he was kidnapped and murdered by the Red Brigade?
13. Who was the nationalist dictator of Spain from 1939 to his death in 1975?
14. Who was the American-born wife of the ruler of Monaco who died in a car accident in' 82?
15. Who is the Lebanese politician largely responsible for ending Lebanon's civil war in 1989?