How much do you know about the development of physics? (5)
1. Who was the Dutch-American physicist who, in 1930, began investigating the structure of molecules with the assistance of X-rays?
2. Who was the American physicist who, in 1931, constructed the world's first cyclotron?
3. Who was the English nuclear physicist who, in 1931, succeeded in disintegrating lithium (one of the four which eluded Rutherford in 1921), going on to build a British cyclotron?
4. Who was the astronomer, considered by many to have been the greatest of modern English astronomers who, in 1931, published one of his keys works 'The World of Physics'?
5. Who was the English physicist and former student and colleague of Rutherford, who, in 1932 discovered the neutron?
6. Who was the Russian-American physicist who in 1932 invented the electron microscope?
7. Who are the two American physicists who in 1933 whilst analysing cosmic rays, discover positive electrons (positrons)?
8. Who were the French couple, both nuclear physicists who, in 1934 succeeded in inducing artificial radioactivity?
9. Who was the Italian physicist who, also in 1934, split the nuclei of uranium atoms by bombarding them with neutrons, producing artificial radioactive substances?
10. Who was the German physical chemist who, in 1939, used the techniques developed by the Joliot-Curies and Fermi to obtain the first chemical evidence of nuclear fission?
11. What was the name given to the atomic research programme launched in Chicago and Los Angeles in 1941?
12. December 2nd 1942. Enrico Fermi creates the first controlled nuclear chain- reaction.Where was this carried out?
13. Who was the English physicist who, independent of Anderson also discovered the positron and went on in 1947 to propose that all massive rotating bodies are magnetic?
14. What was satisfactorily produced from atomic energy at Arcon, Idaho December 1951?