How much do you know about the development of physics? (2)
1. Who was the English physicist and chemist who, in 1665, compared light to waves in water?
2. Who was the first known person to calculate the speed of light, in 1675?
3. Who was the English astronomer and mathematician who, in 1684, persuaded Isaac Newton to extend his thinking about the problems of gravitation?
4. In 1687 Isaac Newton establishes his three laws of motion and publishes his theory of gravity in ??what?
5. Who was the English physicist whose experiments in 1705 proved that sound needs a medium through which to travel? 6, Who was the German physicist who, in 1714, invented the first mercury thermometer?
7. Who was the Swedish astronomer who in 1742 invented the centigrade thermometer?
8. Who was the German scientist who in 1745 invented the 'Leyden Jar' a condenser designed to accumulate and preserve electricity?
9. Who was the American scientist and statesman whose experiments in 1747 showed that a conductor can draw an electric charge from a charged body?
10. Which French mathematician and physicist established the laws of electrodynamics in 1822 and left his name to the unit of electrical current?
11. Who was the French scientist who was the founder of thermodynamics in 1824?
12. Who was the German physicist who established the law of electrical resistance which is named after him, in 1827?
13. Who was the Scottish physicist who, in 1829, established the 'law of gaseous diffusion'?
14. Who was the English chemist whose work on electricity and other subjects over more than 40 years was totally influential? In 1831 - 34 he established the laws of electromagnetic induction and self-induction.
15. Who was the German physicist who, in 1842, promulgated the 'law of conservation of energy'?