How much do you know about contemporary European literature? (2)
1. Who was the author who wrote tellingly about love crossing social barriers, in The Go-Between,The Hireling, etc.?
2. For which work is Czech writer Jaroslav Hasek best remembered?
3. M.P. for Oxford University; author, satirist and humorist, his best known works included The Water Gipsies.
4. Who was the German-Swiss Nobel Laureate and author of several novels with a mystical slant, including The Glass Bead Game?
5. Who was the phonetician in G. B. Shaw's Pygmalion?
6. Who is the contemporary dramatist whose first London success Relatively Speaking in 1967 has been followed by many others,including the series Talking Heads written specially for television?
7. In 1993 Susan Hill published a sequel to Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca.What is it called?
8. Who was the author of Lost Horizon and Good-bye Mr Chips?
9. By which name was the French satirist and actor Jean-Baptiste Poquelin better known?
10. Who was the 1934 Italian Nobel Laureate and author, amongst many other works, of Six Characters in Search of an Author?
11. Who was the hero of Jules Vernes' Around the World in Eighty Days?
12. George Bernard Shaw is reported as having said : " Reading his plays makes me want to tear up my own". Of whom was he speaking?
13. Who was the author of A Clockwork Orange?
14. Whose 1999 Booker Prize 'Disgrace' is set in post-apartheid South Africa?
15. In Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons, the heroine Flora Poste visits relatives in the Sussex countryside.What is the family name?