level, stratum, grade; situation, condition, circumstance, state.
2. reputation, reputability, repute, good or high repute, good name, good odor, credit.
3. duration, permanence, longevity, continuance; endurance, durability, lastingness, abidingness.
-adj. 4. erect, upright, plumb, perpendicular, vertical, stand-up, straight-up-and-down, Heraldry, rampant.
5. still, static, stagnant; stationary, immobile, fixed; motionless, unmoving.
6. continuous, continual, constant, steady, unbroken, uninterrupted, ongoing; unrelieved, unremitting; perpetual, lasting, long-lasting, permanent.
7. customary, conventional, habitual, usual, regular; received, approved, accepted, admitted, recognized.
8. idle, unused, out of use, unemployed,
stand-off, n. 1. reserve, aloofness, coolness, coldness; unfriendliness, unsociableness, unneighborliness; remoteness, inaccessibleness, unapproachableness.
2. tie, tied score, draw; dead heat, photo finish; deadlock, stalemate.
3. counterbalance, counterweight, counterpoise, equipoise, offset.
-adj. 4. aloof, reserved, stand-offish, Inf. offish; cool, cold, icy, frigid, frosty; withdrawn, distant, removed, remote, detached; inaccessible, unapproachable, Olympian; unfriendly, unamiable, unsociable, unneighborly; unexpansive, undemonstrative, unaffable, uncongenial,
standpoint, n. 1. vantage point, seat, post, station, distance, footing; lookout, overlook, observatory, observation post or point, watchtower.
2. position, stance, where one stands or sits; angle, slant, side, light, frame of reference; attitude, outlook, opinion, point of view, viewpoint, view, perspective; mind, frame of mind, dispostion; idea, belief, conviction, mind-set, SI. hang-up.
standstill, n. 1. cessation, arrest, end, stop, stoppage; halt, desistance, termination, abruption, full stop, dead stop, deadlock, stalemate, impasse; stand, stand-off, tie, draw; check, checkmate, mate.
2. pause, rest, respite, lull, lapse, Inf. letup; recess, adjournment, time-out; breath, breather, breathing spell, spell, breathing space; wait, waiting period; hold, holdup, holding pattern, status quo; reprieve, stay, moratorium.
3. interruption, discontinuance, suspension; deferral, deferment, postponement, abeyance, prorogation; gap, hiatus, break, interstice; interval, interlude, interim; intermission.
staple, n. 1. (all principal or basic) commodity, product, raw material, resource.
staples basics, fundamentals, necessities, essentials; stock items, goods, vendibles, salables.
3. (all principal or basic) item, thing, feature, element, part; substance, body, bulk, mass, Archaic. heft, main part, chief ingredient.
-adj. 4. chief, primary, prominent, principal, main, foremost, leading; basic, fundamental, radical, essential, indispensable, necessary, important, vital, sustentatitve, supporting; established, proved; marketable, merchantable, salable, vendible, popular, in demand.
star, n. 1. heavenly body, celestial body, Astron. nova, Archaic, lamp, luminary; orb, planet, Astron. planetoid, Astron. asteroid; falling star, shooting star, meteor, Astron. meteoroid, meteorite, comet.
2. destiny, fate, kismet, predestination, Brit, cup of tea; luck, fortune, lot, doom; plight, state, condition, situation, estate, status.