4. ambiguous, equivocal, discreet, noncommittal; reticent, taciturn, silent, mum, close-mouthed, tightlipped, Inf. buttoned-up; evasive, shifty, circuitous; secretive; covert, clandestine, under-the-table, under-the-counter; furtive, surreptitious, insidious, underhanded; stealthy, skulking. mystery, n. 1. enigma, puzzle, riddle, conundrum, question, question mark; problem, dilemma, quandary, plight, predicament, skeleton in the closet, Inf. pickle, Inf fix, Inf. jam, Inf. stew; fog, haze, mist, murk, dark; maze, labyrinth, tangle, knot; secret, arcanum, hidden meaning, closed book; unknown, unknowable, unexplored ground, Latin, terra incognita; deep or profound secret, mystery of mysteries.
2. seer, prophet, oracle, sphynx; puzzler, poser, Inf. hard nut to crack, Inf. brain-teaser, Inf. mind-boggier, Inf. stumper, Inf. floorer; mystery story, detective story, Inf. whodunit.
3. obscurity, ambiguity, ambiguousness, vagueness, nebulousness, equivocalness; enigmaticalness, mysteriousness, inscrutability, inscrutableness; inexplicability, unexplainableness, unaccountableness, imperceptibil-ity; mysticism, occultness, cabal, cabalism, symbolism; occultism, esotericism, esoterics, esotery; supernaturalism, preternaturalism, otherworldliness; secrecy, secretiveness, concealment, obscurantism, obscuration, mumbo jumbo, hocus-pocus; abstruseness, reconditeness, profundity, profoundness.
4. (all of Roman Catholic doctrine) sacramental rite, transubstantiation, Eucharistic rite, mass, sacrifice; Eucharist, Holy Communion, Communion, Holy Sacrament, Sacrament, body and blood of Christ, Host, wafer.
5. miracle, sign, revelation, divine revelation, divine truth; wonder, marvel, prodigy, Scot. ferly.
6. mystery play, miracle play, morality play, morality, passion play. mystic, adj. 1. symbolic, symbolical, representative, representational, figurative; allegoric, allegorical, metaphoric, metaphorical; anagogical, emblematical; significant, significative, significatory.
2. secret, undisclosed, unrevealed, unspoken, unuttered; hidden, concealed, veiled, shrouded, enshrouded; cryptic, perdu; private, privy, confidential, closed, inviolate; secretive, clandestine, covert.
3. occult, esoteric, cabalistic, cabalistical, mystical, hermetical; supernatural, preternatural, fey, otherworldly, transcendental.
4. obscure, dark, dim, indistinct, indefinite, unclear; shadowy, cloudy, nebulous, vague.
5. mysterious, arcane, inexplicable, unexplainable, unaccountable, insoluble, insolvable, Obs. inextricable; puzzling, enigmatic, baffling, bewildering, perplexing, confounding, mystifying, enigmatical.