11. shoot, fire off, let off, discharge; detonate, explode; bombard, shell, snipe at, pepper, torpedo, pull the trigger.
12. dismiss, discharge, cashier, oust, depose, get rid of, let [s.o.] go, Euph. terminate; give [s.o.] his walking papers, SI. give [s.o.] the ax, SI. sack, SI. bounce, SI. can.
firearm, n. gun, weapon; rifle, musket, shooting iron, fusil, carbine; shotgun, blunderbuss, sawed-off shotgun; matchlock, flintlock, firelock; harquebus, hackbut, arquebus; breechloader, muzzleloader, smoothbore; pistol, revolver, Trademark. Colt or Colt .44, handgun; repeater, derringer, six-shooter, automatic, SI. Saturday-night special, zipgun; U.S. SI. rod, Si. gat, Si. equalizer; .45, .38, .22, .357 magnum; machine gun, submachine gun.
firebrand, n. 1. brand, live coal, torch, light, flambeau, match, cresset, linstock; ember, coal, faggot; kindling, tinder, touchwood, spunk, punk, amadou. 2. agitator, instigator, Fr. agent provocateur, fac-tionary; rabble-rouser, seditionary, incendiary, Brit. tub-thumper, anarchist, terrorist; troublemaker, mischief-maker, ill-wisher, wreck,
fireman, n. 1. fire fighter, fire extinguisher, SI. smokey, SI. hotshot.
2. fire tender, stoker; SI. bilge rat.
fireplace, n. 1. hearth, hearthside, fireside, fire, hearthstone, chimney corner, Brit. Dial, ingle, Brit. Dial, ingleside, Scot. ingle cheek, Chiefly Brit, in-glenook or ingle nook.
2. firebox, grate, grill, griller, hob, hub.
fireproof, adj. unburnable, incombustible, uninflammable; fire resistant, flame resistant, flame retardant.
fireside, n. 1. hearth, hearthside, fireplace, fire, hearthstone, chimney corner, Brit. Dial, ingle, Brit. Dial, ingleside, Scot. ingle cheek, Chiefly Brit, ingle-nook or ingle nook.
2. home, abode, domicile, domicil, residence, residency, dwelling, dwelling place, dwelling home, habitation, Scot. and North Eng. bigging, Scot. howff.
3. homestead, home sweet home, hearth and home, hearthstead, household, family, family circle, domestic life.
-adj. 4. informal, casual, low-key, low-pitch, natural, easy, easy-going, free and easy, Inf. laid-back; friendly, neighborly, amiable, amicable, genial, congenial, social, sociable, cordial,
fireworks, n. 1. pyrotechnics, illuminations, thun-derflash, Greek fire, Fr. feu d'artifice, Fr. feu dejoie; sparkler, fizgig, cherry bomb, firecracker, Roman candle, Catherine wheel, rocket, star shell.
2. tantrum, temper, outburst, paroxysm, fit, explosion; rage, furor, dander, hysterics, fire and fury, storm, frenzy,
firm', adj. 1. hard, stiff, rigid, solid, hardened, solidified; compressed, compact, indurated, condensed; congealed, frozen, impermeable, impenetrable; stony, adamantine, steely, iron; osseous, ossified, bony, horny.
2. fixed, fast, set, close, taut, secure, stationary; immovable, unmovable, irremovable; anchored, moored, tied, rooted, grounded; established, riveted, nailed, bolted.
3. steady, stable, balanced, even, constant; unchangeable, unalterable, changeless, immutable, invariable; irrevocable, irreversible, indissoluble, irrepeal-able; abiding, enduring, durable, deep-rooted, deep-seated, longstanding.
4. steadfast, unwavering, unswerving, unflinching; unfaltering, undeviating, unhesitating, true; unflagging, dogged, indomitable, relentless, inexorable, plodding; tenacious, gritty, Inf. hellbent, Inf. stick-to-it-ive; invincible, invulnerable, unassailable, impregnable.