tistical, egocentric, narcissistic, narcistic; self-absorbed, wrapped up in oneself; selfish, self-serving, self-seeking, SI. on the make or take, self-aggrandizing; self-indulgent, self-gratifying, self-interested,
self-confidence, n. 1. self-assurance, assurance, confidence, security, self-reliance, self-dependence; self-possession, self-control, equanimity, composure, unflappability, coolness, calmness, collectedness.
2. overconfidence, cocksureness, arrogance, front, haughtiness, self-importance; impudence, effrontery, gall, Inf. cheek, insolence, brashness; impertinence, sauciness, Inf sauce, Inf. nerve, audacity, boldness; presumption, presumptuousness, Inf. face, forwardness, self-assertiveness, chutzpah, assertiveness, aggressiveness, bumptiousness, brazenness, brassiness,
self-confident, adj. self-assured, sure of oneself, assured, confident, secure; believing, undoubting, questionless; steady, unwavering, unhesitating, unflinching, unblinking; cocksure, overconfident,
self-conscious, adj. self-aware, self-concerned, diffident, shy, bashful, modest, coy, demure, retiring, shrinking, backward; timorous, fearful, timid, apprehensive, insecure, unconfident, hesitant, reluctant, constrained; reserved, reticent, restrained, uncommunicative, unsocial, unsociable; humble, unassuming, unobtrusive, self-effacing; embarrassed, sheepish, blushing, flushed, flushing, redfaced, Inf. red; awkward, clumsy, oafish, SI. klutzy,
self-consciousness, n. self-awareness, diffidence, shyness, bashfulness, abashment, modesty, coyness, demureness, backwardness; timorousness, timidity, fearfulness, apprehension; insecurity, lack of self-confidence, hesitancy, reluctance, constraint; reserve, reticence, restraint, unsociability; humility, unobtrusiveness, self-effacement; embarrassment, sheepishness; awkwardness, clumsiness,
self-contained, adj. 1. self-reliant. See - self-reliant.
2. reserved, reticent, taciturn, uncommunicative, closed-mouthed, tight-lipped, mum, silent.
3. self-possessed. See - self-possessed, self-control, n. 1. self-restraint, restraint, control,
self-discipline. See - self-denial (def. 2).
2. abstemiousness, abstention, Puritanism, nonindulgence; temperance, moderation, sobriety. See - selfdenial (def. 3).
3. will power, strength of character, moral fiber; endurance, fortitude, forbearance, longanimity; patience, tolerance, resignation; composure, coolness, calmness, collectedness, cool-headedness; sang-froid, presence of mind, self-possession; aplomb, poise, savoir-faire, self-confidence, self-assurance; level-headedness, equanimity, equilibrium, mental balance; constancy, unchangingness, stability, firmness, steadiness; sedateness, imperturbability, imperturbableness, even temper, Rare, inexcitability; tranquillity, peace, serenity, placidity, placidness.
self-denial, n. 1. self-abnegation, self-sacrifice, self-immolation, selflessness, unselfishness, self-forgetfulness; self-giving, magnanimity, generosity, altruism.
2. restraint, self-restraint, control, self-control, will power, strength; self-discipline, self-command, selfgovernment, self-mastery, self-conquest; curbing, curb, checking, check.
3. abstemiousness, habitual abstinence, abstention, Puritanism, nonindulgence; temperance, moderation, sobriety, soberness; continence, celibacy, chasteness, chastity, virginity; refrainment, refraining, forbearance, forbearing, desistance, desisting; holding off, resisting, resistance; turning aside from, keeping one's hands off, letting alone; giving up, Inf. swearing off,