tact, address, diplomacy, finesse,
complaisant, adj. 1. obliging, agreeable, accommodating, amenable, reasonable; deferential, respectful, submissive, acquiescent, yielding, conciliatory; compliant, pliant, flexible, pliable, conformable.
2. gracious, pleasant, complacent, genial; amiable,
pleasing, likable, good-natured, good-hur lored, Scot. and North Eng., Irish Eng. sonsy; amicable, neighborly, friendly, sociable, congenial, affable; easy, open, unreserved, easygoing; delightful, nice, sweet, lovable; kind, kindly, kindhearted, considerate, Scot. couthie; engaging, winning, winsome, charming; civil, cordial, courteous, mannerly, courtly; urbane, suave, well-mannered, well-bred, civilized, sophisticated; tactful, diplomatic, politic, chivalrous, artful,
complement, n. 1. crowning touch, finishing touch, final touch, Inf. clincher, Inf. topper; All Fig. icing or frosting on the cake, dessert.
2. balance, remainder, difference; filler, makeweight; supplement, addition, addendum, accessory.
3. counterpart, equivalent, match, twin, double, other half, alter ego; alternate, pendant, companion, mate, fellow; correspondent, coordinate, correlative, parallel, analogue.
4. aggregate, full amount or quantity, full number, full allowance, full measure; total, grand total, sum total, sum and substance, the whole, the entirety; the lot, one and all, all and sundry; load, capacity, full house; set, package, package deal; All SI. the works, the whole works, the whole ball of wax, the whole kit and caboodle, the whole deal, the whole shooting match, the whole mess, the whole bunch, the whole shebang.
5. company, cast, troop; body, team, party, band, crew, outfit, Inf. bunch, SI. mob.
-v. 6. complete, set off; crown, cap, culminate,
consummate, fulfill, Inf top off.
7. correlate, reciprocate, correspond, coequal; sup
plement, add to, round off or out, fill out, make up, make good.
complementary, adj. 1. complemental, completing, completory, completive, filling, fulfilling; perfecting, perfective, consummating, consummative, culminating, culminative.
2. correspondent, corresponding, parallel, analogous, answering, complementing; reciprocal, recipro-cative, correlative, correlational, correlated; equivalent, coequal, tantamount; mutual, commutual, common, joint, respective, two-way.
3. interrelated, interconnected, interlinked, interassociated, interdependent; paired, mated, matched, doubled; companion, brother, sister, twin, fellow.
complete, adj. 1. entire, whole, total, integral, comprehensive, plenary; self-contained, independent, autonomous, self-supporting; solid, undivided, unbroken, uncut, unshortened, unabridged, all in one; intact, sound; undiminished, unlessened, unreduced, unabated; full, filled, replete with, pregnant; cram-full, chock-full, jam-packed; stuffed, packed, Inf. wall-to-wall, crammed.
2. thorough, thoroughgoing, total, exhaustive, indepth, A to Z, Brit. A to Zed, Brit. Dial, gradely; absolute, dyed-in-the-wool, full-fledged; utter, gross, rank, sheer, radical, sweeping; unqualified, unmodified, uncompromised, unconditional, unconditioned, unreserved, unmitigated; unrestricted, unlimited, unhampered, unimpeded, unbounded; unequivocal, clear, unambiguous, explicit, express.
3. categorical, flat, clear-cut; downright, out-and-out, outright, straight-out, all-but, through and through; fundamental, real, genuine, essential.