-v. 9. foot it walk, go on foot, traverse on foot, SI. hoof, SI. take the shoe-leather express; step, pace, tramp, march; perambulate, stroll, promenade, saunter, amble, take a walk, go for a walk.
10. foot the bill pick up the check or tab, treat; settle a bill, pay a bill, discharge an obligation, All SI. cough up, shell out, fork over.
footfall, n. 1. footstep, step, tread, stride, gait.
2. sound of footsteps, tramp, plod, plunk,
foothold, n. place to stand on, Gk. pou sto, footing, standing, purchase; base, foundation, support; grip, hold, toehold; vantage, position, bridgehead, beachhead.
footing, n. 1. foothold, established or secure position. See - foothold.
2. basis, base, foundation, ground, groundwork, substructure; principle, fundamental, rudiment.
3. stability, settlement, equilibrium, even keel, status quo.
4. position, condition, situation, station, estate, place; status, stratum, level, class, caste; step, degree, rank, grade.
5. terms, standing, relations.
footle, v. 1. caper, prance, frisk, gambol, be playful or jocose; fool around, Inf. mess around, SI. screw around, SI. horse around, act childish; get into mischief, Inf. pull shenanigans, play a prank or trick; be silly, joke, jest, clown, play the buffoon; giggle, titter, twitter, Inf teehee.
2. gibber, SI. gibber-jabber, blather, Inf. blither, drivel, drool; twattle, Brit, twattle, prate, talk nonsense, Inf. talk through one's hat; jabber, jargon, SI. jive; chatter, chipper, prattle, cackle.
3. nonsense, foolishness, silliness. See - foolishness (defs. 3, 4). footpath, n. path, pathway, Brit, footway, walkway, garden path; trail, track, lane; bypath, byway; bypass, shortcut,
foot soldier, n. infantryman, Rare, footman, sepoy, peltast; enlisted man, G.I., G.I. Joe, doughboy, SI. grunt, Tommy, Tommy Atkins, cannon fodder; regular, private, Inf. non-com, legionnaire; mercenary,
footstep, n. footfall, step, tread; plod, plunk; pace, stride; footprint, footmark, track; trail, trace, Archaic. vestige, mark.
footstool, n. ottoman, hassock, stool; taboret, bench; faldstool, kneeler, prie-dieu.
fop, n. dandy, beau, jack-a-dandy, coxcomb; spark, dude, SI. swell, Brit, toff; Beau Brummel, fancy Dan, SI. peacock, SI. bantam cock, SI. glamor puss; exquisite, Hist, macaroni, silk-stocking, clotheshorse; poseur, popinjay, la-di-da, strutter; pompous ass, cock of the walk; prig, prinker, pretty-boy, Archaic, carpet knight; blade, sophisticate, gallant, cavalier; ladies' man, lady killer, SI. lounge lizard,
foppery, n. foppishness, dandyism, SI. peacockery; conceit, vanity, Fr. amour-propre, affectation,
foppish, adj. showy, dandyish, overdressed, dapper, natty, swank, Inf. swell-elegant; fastidious, finicky, finical, prinking, preening; pompous, vainglorious, self-glorifying; vain as a peacock, self-satisfied, SI. stuck up, Inf stuck on oneself, conceited, in love with oneself, blinded by one's own glory; affected, la-di-da, pretentious.
for, prep. 1. for the purpose of, in order to, with the object or goal of, so as to become, with a view or eye to, in quest of, seeking, looking for; destined for, in destination of, toward, to.