move; industrious, hard-working, enterprising, forceful, strong, high-powered,
peptalk, n. encouragement, buoying up, stimulation, motivation, inspiration; rallying lecture, Inf. half-time talk, Inf. one for the Gipper, inflammatory talk, firing or stirring up, Inf. psyching up.
peptic, adj. digestive, Physiol, assimilative, enzymatic, gastric, stomachic, stomachical.
per, prep, a, the, each, for each, every; through, by.
peradventure, n. 1. uncertainty, hesitation, indecision, undecidedness, irresolution; question, faltering, vacillation, lack of conviction, indefiniteness, indetermination, insecurity; doubt, incertitude, dubiety, dubiousness.
2. guess, conjecture, surmise, supposition, assumption, presumption, guesswork; chance, random shot, pot shot, Inf. shot in the dark, Inf. shot, Sl. crack, Sl. guesstimate.
3. fortune, luck, stroke; accident, fortuity, fluke, inadvertence; cast of the dice, flip of the coin.
perambulate, v. 1. traverse, trek, travel, travel over or through or around, peregrinate; roam, rove, range, tour; walk, foot, tread, pace; make rounds, walk a beat, patrol, Sl. case.
2. stroll, ambulate, go for a walk, take a walk, stretch one's legs; promenade, saunter, amble, ramble, roll, roll along; meander, circumambulate, straggle, gad about, gallivant, traipse,
perceivable, adj. 1. perceptible, appreciable, recognizable, noticeable, discernible, distinguishable, detectable; cognizable, knowable, intelligible, comprehensible, understandable.
2. apparent, seeable, visible; open, in full view, revealed, unconcealed, exposed, showing, unhidden, uncovered, unveiled, naked, bare; conspicuous, observable, well-marked, distinct; plain, clear, evident, obvious, manifest, patent, palpable; plain as day, plain as the nose on one's face, lucid, in focus; prominent, notable, salient, bold.
perceive, v. 1. intuit, sense, feel, find, be conscious of, be aware of; hear, smell, taste; see, see through, see the light, make out, note, spot, sight, catch sight of, catch, glimpse, discern, read, Brit, twig, make heads or tails of; appreciate, Sl. dig, Sl. savvy, Inf. catch on, get the picture, Inf get through one's head, Inf get it, Inf. have it; observe, behold, notice, espy, descry, remark, detect, mark, discover, witness, identify; fathom, penetrate, realize, Inf. lay hold of, gain insight into.
2. apprehend, comprehend, understand, grasp, Archaic. hent; take in, receive, Chiefly Scot. ken; decipher, figure out, ascertain, determine; differentiate, make a distinction, discriminate, judge, distinguish, pick out; apperceive, cognize, recognize, be cognizant of, know; conclude, gather, deduce, derive, infer,
percentage, n. 1. percent, rate per hundred.
2. proportion, ratio, quota, part, share, portion, allotment, dividend.
3. royalty, duty, allowance, commission, factorage, discount, deduction.
4. Informal. Sl. rake-off, Inf. cut, Sl. slice, gain, gains, profit, profits, Inf. take.
perceptible, adj. perceivable, appreciable, recognizable, discernible. See - perceivable (defs. 1, 2). perception, n. 1. understanding, comprehension, apprehension, grasp, mental hold; awareness, consciousness, Obs. conscience, ken, perspicacity, percipience, sagacity, wisdom, knowing, knowledge, intelligence; cognition, discernment, cognizance, enlightenment.
2. sensation, sense, feeling, intuition, impression; realization, revelation, insight; instinct, prompting, second sense, divination, clairvoyance, prompting, foreknowledge, foresight, prescience.
My Account / Test History
When someone calls you, you answer the phone (or pick up the phone).
When you make a statement or some comments, we usually say the other person replies or responds.
When you ask a question, we usually say the other person answers. However, this is not 100% - reply and respond can also be used for answering a question.
When used as a noun (with a, an, the and possessive pronouns like my, your, his, her, etc.) the words answer and reply don't change - but the noun form of "respond" is response.