genus, n. subdivision, subfamily; class, kind, ilk, sort, type; category, genre, nature, denomination,
germ, n. 1. microbe, microorganism, bacterium, bacillus, virus, Inf. bug.
2. beginning, commencement, start, inception, origin, alpha; embryo, bud, seed, root; source, fount, fountainhead.
germane, adj. relevant, pertinent, apropos, material, applicable; related, analagous, comparable, akin, allied; apposite, appropriate, apt, fitting, suited, felicitous,
germicide, n. antiseptic, disinfectant, fumigant, fu-migator, bactericide, microbicide.
germinate, v. sprout, pullulate, burgeon, shoot up, spring up, push up, grow up; grow, develop, vegetate, flourish, thrive.
gestation, n. incubation, pregnancy, gravidity, partu-riency, Inf. the family way.
gesticulate, v. gesture, motion, wave, flail the arms, saw the air; signal, signalize, nod, Inf. give [s.o.] the high sign or nod; hold up the finger, wiggle or crook one's finger, wag one's finger; give thumbs-down to; All Disparaging. SI. give [s.o.] the finger, SI. slip [s.o.j the bird, SI. give [s.o.] figs or the pig, thumb one's nose, cock a or one's snook.
gesture, n. 1. motion, movement, gesticulation, gest, Theat. stage business; sign, signal, broad hint, nod, nudge, wink, Inf. high sign; pantomime, charade, dumb show; body language, Inf. body English.
2. flourish, Fr. beau geste, fine gesture; display, show, demonstration.
-v. 3. gesticulate, motion. See - gesticulate, get, v. 1. receive, come by, realize, inherit, succeed to, fall into; gain, win, achieve, attain, reach; benefit, profit, avail; (all usu. of wages) earn, make, SI. pull down, gross, clear, net, Inf. take home, pocket.
2. obtain, acquire, secure, procure, purchase, buy, pick up; take in, harvest, garner, reap, gather, collect, glean.
3. capture, seize, grasp, bag; grip, grab, lay hold of, collar; catch, entrap, ensnare; take, snatch.
4. fetch, go for or after, go get, Hunting, retrieve; bring to, convey to, transport, carry; collect, take away, haul away.
5. communicate with, reach, contact, get in touch with; write, drop a line or note, epistolize; telephone, Inf. phone, call, Chiefly Brit, ring or ring up, dial or dial up, Inf. buzz.
6. sense, perceive, hear, take in; grasp, apprehend, learn, Inf. catch on, Inf. get the hang of, Inf. get into or through one's head; master, lay hold of, Inf. get a fix or handle on; absorb, digest, assimilate.
7. Informal, comprehend, understand, see, fathom, follow, Inf make heads or tails of.
8. prevail upon, persuade, induce, talk [s.o.] into [s.t.]; influence, sway, bring [s.o.] round, enlist, win over; wheedle, cajole, coax; bribe, suborn.
9. (all usu. of animals) beget, procreate, generate; father, sire; spawn, breed.
10. affect, move, stir, touch, touch to the quick, Inf. get to; arouse, stimulate, excite, Inf. turn [s.o.] on; grip, hold; impress, leave a mark on, make an impression on, have an impact on; soften, melt, mollify.
11. hit, strike, smite, slap, smack, punch, SI. sock, Inf. slug, pummel, pelt; shoot; wound, hurt, harm, in