runt, n. midget, short person, dwarf, pygmy, dandi-prat, chit, urchin; punk, SI. shrimp, SI. wart, pipsqueak, half-pint, Inf. shortie; elf, Lilliputian, pigwid-geon, manikin, cock sparrow, hop-o'-my-thumb, homunculus; fingerling, dapperling, Inf. peewee, gnome, brownie; Humpty Dumpty, Tom Thumb, Thumbelina.
rupture, n. 1. rift, fissure, scissure, fault, flaw, crack, split; fracture, break, burst; disruption, disjunction, breakage, breaking, bursting; severance, cleavage, separation, division; rent, tear, rip, cut, cleft, slit; slash, slice, rime, gap, space; Pathol, hernia.
2. breach, falling-out, schism, break; disunion, disunity, division; discord, disagreement, disfavor, disaffection, alienation, estrangement; quarrel, argument, dispute, polemic, altercation, controversy; feud, vendetta; contention, litigation, variance, opposition.
-v. 3. break, burst, crack, fissure, SI. bust; fracture, split, disrupt, breach, check; rend, separate, disunite, disjoin; part, sunder, put asunder, cleave, divide; break up, snap, tear, cut, rip.
rural, adj. 1. country, countrified, unsophisticated, rough, inurbane, crude, farmerish; bucolic, rustic, agrestic, provincial; pastoral, Arcadian.
2. agricultural, farm, farming, agrarian; agronomical, geoponic, georgic.
ruse, n. trick, stratagem, artifice, wile, contrivance; subterfuge, device, blind, sham, dodge; deception, deceit, maneuver, manipulation, machination, move, gambit, coup; feint, sleight, ploy, decoy; chicanery, jugglery, cheat, knavery; tactic, SI. gimmick, red herring, Inf. fakement, put-on; game, SI. gig, SI. racket,
rush, v. 1. hasten, Literary, haste, hurry, move quickly, lose no time; make haste, Scot. swith, Scot. whirry, race, scurry, skip, spurt, whisk, run, sprint; press on, push on, shoot, tear, fly, fly on the wings of the wind, outstrip the wind, take wing, take to flight; scour, hustle, bustle, scamper, scuttle, trip, flit; hotfoot, hotfoot it, hightail, 'hightail it, Inf. skeddadle, Inf. move on out, Inf. move it, be on the run, beat a hasty retreat; whip off, whip away, dash off, run like mad, SI. get cracking, SI. get one's rear in gear, SI. shake a leg, SI. go like a bat out of hell, go or run wide open, Inf. go like a shot; speed up, put on more speed, step on the gas, SI. step on it, SI. burn up the road, cover ground, Inf. burn rubber, Inf. scratch off; make strides, do some tall stepping, hie one's way, Inf. make it snappy, look alive.
2. accelerate, quicken, advance, precipitate; expedite, dispatch, make short work of; finish quickly, dash off, send through fast.
3. charge, attack, blitzkrieg, blitz, rampage, assault; set upon, pounce upon, descend upon, fall on, open fire upon; light into, Inf. lace into, Inf. rip into, Inf. tear into, SI. zap; beset, besiege, siege, beleaguer, Inf. gang up on.
4. charge, attack, assault, offensive, onslaught, blitzkrieg, blitz; storming, Fr. coup de main, invasion, aggression, incursion, escalade; siege, be-siegement, besetment; surge, sudden appearance, ambush; onset, sudden commencement, fast start, abrupt beginning.
5. drive, dash, run, stampede; scramble, mad scramble, race, scurry, push, plunge.
6. haste, harum-scarum, hurry-scurry, pell-mell, helter-skelter; bustle, ado, hubbub; velocity, speed, rapidity, dispatch, celerity; quickness, expedition, promptitude, hastiness; flurry, flutter, turmoil, commotion; stir, whirl, pother, ferment. -adj. 7. hasty, quick, rapid, swift, fast, brisk; prompt, expeditious, instantaneous, immediate; hurried, urgent; careless, slapdash, cursory, superficial,
russet, adj. reddish-brown, coppery, chestnut, foxy,