4. partisanship, partisanry, partisanism, party politics, sectarianism, factionalism; partiality, bias, prejudice, one-sidedness, unilaterality, unilateralism.
5. participant, participator, part, member, associate, partner, co-partner, partaker, sharer; Law. litigant, Law. plaintiff, Law. defendant, Law. signatory; confederate, conspirator, co-conspirator, contributor, helper, aide, cooperator, abettor.
6. person, individual, one, creature, human, human being, being, soul; man, fellow, guy, boy; woman, lady, girl.
-adj. 7. partisan, coalitional, sectarian, factional, divisional, ex-parte, special interest, Both U.S. Government. Democratic, Republican; partial, taking sides, prejudiced, biased, one-sided, unilateral; parochial, doctrinaire, dogmatic, rigid, unbending; narrow-minded, limited, unable to see beyond the end of one's nose, short-sighted, myopic, near-sighted.
8. party-going, partying, dancing; cocktail, dance, ball, evening; special, good, dressy, fancy, frilly.
-v. 9. Informal, enjoy oneself, have a good or merry or high old time, Sl. laugh or yuk it up, have a ball or blast, Sl. party hearty; go out or have a night out on the town, have a spree or a lark, Sl. paint the town red, night-club, barhop, pub-crawl, go out dancing or drinking, trip the light fantastic, dance the night away, Sl. boogie, Inf. booze it up.
parvenu, n. 1. arrive, arriviste, nouveau riche,
newly rich, social climber, status seeker, snob; Sl. pig in clover, Inf. codfish aristocrat; upstart, nobody, impostor, intruder, pretender, adventurer, Inf would-be.
-adj. 2. nouveau riche, newly-rich, upstart, risen from the ranks; common, plebeian, baseborn, earth-born; pretentious, precocious, presumptuous, Sl. cocky, obtrusive; bluffing, pretending, feigning; forward, brash, brazen, Sl. brassy, Sl. cheeky, audacious, arrogant, impudent, insolent, impertinent.
pass, v. 1. go by, move past, flow, roll, run,
stream, course; glide, slide, sweep, drift; proceed, progress, advance, gain ground; move onward, work one's way, wend one's way; run along, hie, hasten, make haste, hurry along, jog along, rush, zip, fly, swoosh, whoosh.
2. disregard, overlook, pass over, omit; skip, miss, let go, let slip, waive; slight, snub, brush off, blink at; slur over, gloss over, skip over; ignore, not heed, pay no attention to, turn a deaf ear to, close one's eyes to, be blind to; put aside, push aside, forget, drop, shelve; Inf pass the buck, shift, Inf. buck; avoid, evade, shun, elude, dodge.
3. traverse, go over, go across, cross, ford; cut across, get through, make it over; overpass, overleap, overjump.
4. qualify, satisfy, succeed, graduate; accomplish, achieve, finish, reach, Sl. connect, Sl. click, Sl. make a hit; come through, get through, pass with flying colors, Sl. ace; Sl. hook, Inf. get by, pass by the skin of one's teeth, Sl. cut it, Sl. hack it; stand the test, meet the requirements, come up to scratch; hold up, stand up, endure, live through.
5. transcend, surmount, exceed, surpass, excel, go further, go one better; outgo, override, outstrip, overtake, take the lead; overrun, overstep, overshoot, overreach; outdistance, distance, get ahead of, get in front of, lap, overlap, leave in the lurch.
6. spend, occupy, employ, use, take up, fill; while, bide, beguile; squander, fritter away, dissipate, kill.
7. spread, circulate, disseminate, propagate, pass out; vent, air, promulgate, report, make known, tell; publicize, make public, broadcast; herald, blazon, trumpet, bruit, hawk; divulge, put forth, bring into the open, bring to the public eye; advance, promote.
My Account / Test History
When someone calls you, you answer the phone (or pick up the phone).
When you make a statement or some comments, we usually say the other person replies or responds.
When you ask a question, we usually say the other person answers. However, this is not 100% - reply and respond can also be used for answering a question.
When used as a noun (with a, an, the and possessive pronouns like my, your, his, her, etc.) the words answer and reply don't change - but the noun form of "respond" is response.