tion, recess, inactivity, Archaic, bever; alleviation, assuagement, mitigation, palliation; commutation, easing up or off, slackening up, loosening up.
2. remission, reprieve, stay, stay of execution, Inf. letup; postponement, suspension, adjournment, abeyance, prorogation; deferment, deferral, delay, extension, protraction, continuation, Law. continuance; cessation, desistance, arrest, stoppage, halt, standstill, discontinuance, discontinuation.
-v. 3. relieve, alleviate, allay, assuage, mitigate, palliate; commute, ease up or off, slacken up, loosen up, relax, grant a breathing spell, Archaic, slake.
4. remit, reprieve, stay, grant a stay of execution, let off, Inf. let off the hook; continue, grant an extension, Finance, extend, Commerce, indulge; postpone, defer, prorogue, adjourn, suspend, intermit, lay over, put off, stave off, shelve, table, hold in abeyance, reschedule; delay, stall, wait, hold off, proscrastinate. resplendent, adj. 1. brilliant, radiant, irradiant, lambent; dazzling, vivid, intense, ablaze, aflame, afire; fulgent, effulgent, refulgent; shining, bright, illuminated, alight, lit; white, golden, rutilant, aureate; sparkling, scintillating, coruscating, shimmering; aglim-mer, glimmering, glistening, aglisten, Archaic, glistering, glittering, aglitter.
2. splendid, Inf splendiferous, superb, glorious, divine, marvelous, Sl. marvy, wonderful, Sl. out-of-this-world. respond, v. 1. reply, make reply, answer, give answer, field, write back, R.S.V.P., confirm [s.t.]; report back, get back to, send word to, let someone know; retort, come back with, counter with, answer back, talk back, Inf. sass, Inf. make a wisecrack, Sl. give [s.o.] lip; rejoin, make a rejoinder, rebut, make a rebuttal, counterreply, counterclaim.
2. react to, acknowledge, recognize, notice; make a response, signal to, make a gesture, nod, shake one's head, salute, raise one's hand, wave, tip or doff one's cap, greet [s.o.]; reciprocate, give in return, return the compliment, smile back, extend the hand, shake hands with; thank, give one's thanks, express gratitude, show appreciation.
3. Usu. respond to react, be moved, be touched, be reached, be affected; feel with, empathize with, identify with, experience vicariously, understand, Inf. tune into, SI. be hip to; sympathize with, feel for, commis-serate with, feel pity for, pity; join into, enter into, participate in, engage in, become involved in, show or take an interest in, be stimulated by; share in, partake of, be caught up in, become a part of.
4. Usu. respond to correspond, go with, match, suit, fit in with, complement; agree with, conform to, coincide with, jibe with, tally with, square with, dovetail with, mesh with, Inf gee with; accord, think alike, Inf. be on the same wavelength; hit it off, Inf. click, Inf. work. response, n. 1. answer, reply, return, respondence, replication, R.S.V.P., confirmation; communication, commurtiqud, message, letter, epistle, note, Inf memorandum, Inf. memo.
2. retort, repartee, riposte, rebuttal, counter, Sl. comeback, smart remark, back talk, Inf. sass, Inf. wisecrack, Sl. lip, Sl. mouth; rejoinder, counterreply, retaliation, counterclaim, counterblast, refutation, All Law. surrebuttal, surrejoinder, defense, plea.
3. acknowledgement, recognition, notice, reaction, feedback; signal, gesture, nod, salute, salutation, greeting; thanks, expression of gratitude or appreciation; reaction, feeling, emotion, empathy, sympathy, pathos. responsibility, n. 1. answerability, answerableness, accountability, accountableness, liability, chargeabil-