imprecate, v. execrate, anathematize, send to perdition, curse, SI. put the whammy on, Inf. jinx; damn, denounce, denunciate, condemn; blaspheme, slander,
imprecation, n. curse, malediction, ban, anathema, Archaic, malison, execration; evil eye, SI. whammy, hoodoo, jinx; denunciation, condemnation, damning, proscription; blasphemy, slander, abuse, threat,
imprecatory, adj. execratory, maledictory, denunciatory, damning, proscriptive; threatening, menacing, warning; blasphemous, slanderous,
imprecise, adj. inexact, approximate; incorrect, not right, untrue, inaccurate, wide-of-the-mark, off; ambiguous, inexplicit, indistinct, indefinite, vague, ill-defined; hazy, cloudy, wispy, fuzzy, fuzzy around the edges, Inf. muzzy, blurred; disorderly, inchoate, confused, careless,
impregnable, adj. 1. invulnerable, indestructible, undestroyable, imperishable, nonperishable, Obs., Rare, imperdible; invincible, unconquerable, impenetrable, inviolable, inexpugnable; unassailable, unat-tackable, insuperable, insurmountable, undefeatable, unbeatable; formidable, powerful, mighty; tenable, secure, safe, safe and sound; stout, strong, sturdy, solid, stable, staunch, stanch; indomitable, redoubtable, unyielding.
2. indisputable, incontestable, irrefutable, undeniable, unquestionable, indubitable, incontrovertible, sure, certain, absolute; unimpeachable, irreproachable; perfect, flawless, unflawed, faultless,
impregnate, v. 1. inseminate, make pregnant, get with child or young, SI. knock up; fertilize, fructify, make fruitful, fecundate; beget, create, procreate, engender, generate.
2. permeate, spread throughout, overspread, fill, suffuse, imbue, imbrue; soak, steep, saturate, drench, flood, inundate; pervade, penetrate, infuse, inject; tinge, tincture, dye.
impresario, n. manager, director, producer, administrator; conductor, maestro, choirmaster, concert master, precentor, coryphaeus; ballet master,
impress', v. 1. move, sway, bend, influence; persuade, win over, bring round; touch, reach, go to one's heart, SI. get under one's skin; affect deeply, stir, disturb, bother, trouble; grab, galvanize, electrify, strike, overwhelm, overpower, bedazzle.
2. fix deeply, establish, ground, instill, plant, install.
3. urge, prevail upon, spur, prompt, induce; emphasize, bring home to.
4. stamp, imprint, mark, seal, engrave.
5. draw attention to oneself, show off, flaunt, swagger; make a show, cut or make a figure, SI. cut a dash, Inf. cut a swath, SI. cut a shine, SI. cut a feather; make an impression, make a splash, SI. snow; play up to, SI. shine up to, work on.
-n. 6. mark, imprint, print, stamp, seal, impression.
7. hallmark, earmark, keynote, characteristic; sign, sure sign, telltale sign, index, indicator.
impress2, v. 1. (usu. in reference to military service) draft, induct, conscript, conscribe, press, Naut. shanghai, crimp; recruit, enlist, Archaic, list, levy, muster in; activate, call up, mobilize.
2. seize, take possession of, expropriate, appropriate, arrogate, assume; requisition, confiscate, impound, Law. distrain; wrest from, take from, usurp, accroach; commandeer, hijack.
3. persuade, convince, induce, prevail on or upon; impel, oblige, constrain, compel, coerce; wheedle, cajole, coax.
impressibility, n. softness, yieldingness, impressionability; flexibility, pliableness, pliability, plasticity, malleability, moldability, fictileness, clayiness. See - impressionability.