-v. 8. cover, overlay, face, veneer; wrap, envelop,
enfold; sheathe, enshroud, swathe, swaddle.
shelf, n. 1. bracket, hob; mantel, mantelpiece; platform, bench, banquette; ledge, protrusion, projection, overhang.
2. sandbank, sand bar, bank, bar, shoal, ridge, reef.
3. put on the shelf Slang, postpone, defer, prorogue, delay, suspend, hang up, table, shelve, put aside for the time; put in cold storage, put on ice, put in a holding pattern, put on a back burner.
4. on the shelf Slang, inactive, inoperative, nonfunctioning, nonperforming; unused, unoccupied, unbusied, unemployed, useless, worthless, unusable.
shell, n. 1. hard outer covering, hard case, Anat., Zool. theca, casing, coat, coating, incrustation, sheathing, sheath; envelope, wrapper, capsule, cloak, jacket; casement, housing, protection; carapace, shield, Zool. test, (pi.) exuviae; integument, tegument, Bot. testa, rind, crust, peel, skin, Bot. epicarp; husk, bark, cortex, hull, shuck, chaff; pod, calyx, Dial, cod, pericarp; Bot. involucre, Bot. involucrum, wrapping, Bot. investment.
2. cavity, hollow, crater, cup, bowl.
3. framework, frame, structure, outline, skeleton, Metall. skull.
4. cartridge, cartouche, canister; cylinder, case, container; reservoir, magazine, cassette.
5. Military, projectile, bullet, ball, grenade, canister shot, shot, shrapnel. -v. 6. husk, shuck, peel, skin, pare, decorticate, excorticate, flay, scale, hull, bark.
7. bombard, bomb, Brit. Sl. prang, strafe, torpedo, Mil. barrage, fusillade, blitz, blitzkrieg; shoot, fire on, open fire on, pepper, cannonade.
8. come off, detach, separate, split; exfoliate, Pathol, desquamate, shed, slough, molt, exuviate, flake.
9. shell out Slang, spend, pay out, outlay, Inf. lay out, Sl. fork out, Sl. dish out, ante up, expend, disburse; squander, dissipate, burn up, waste, fritter away.
shelter, n. 1. refuge, asylum, haven, sanctuary, sanctum, sanctum sanctorum, safety zone, harbor, port, port in a storm, Scot. bield; retreat, hospice, hermitage, cloister, ashram; nest, lain, den, cave, hole, dugout, abri; mew, cover, covert, coverture, hideout, hiding place, hideaway; corner, dark corner, shade, recess, nook, cranny, niche; stronghold, fortress, fortification, citadel, bastion, keep, safehold, tower, pillar, tower or pillar of strength, rock, rock of ages.
2. protection, security, safety, shelter from a storm; custody, keeping, charge, ward, guardianship, preservation, safekeeping; hiding, concealment, seclusion, privacy, retirement; help, aid, support, patronage, defense, championship; guard, escort, convoy.
3. immunity, diplomatic immunity, legislative or congressional immunity, impunity, indemnity, exemption, exception; privilege, Politics, executive privilege, prerogative, right, liberty, freedom, dispensation, special privilege, special favor; reprieve, pardon, amnesty, sparing.
4. home, abode, domicile, residence, residency, dwelling, dwelling place, dwelling home, habitation, in-habitance, inhabitancy, Scot. and North Eng. bigging, Scot. howff; housing, rooms, accommodations, roof over one's head, Inf. pad, Inf. crash pad, Chiefly Brit. Inf. diggings, Brit. Inf. digs; hearth, hearthstone, hearthside, hearth and home, fireside, fireplace, chimney corner, Brit. Dial, ingle, Brit. Dial, ingleside, Chiefly Brit, inglenook; homestead, household, family, family circle, domestic circle, bosom of one's family, seat of one's affections, home sweet home, Inf. place where one hangs his hat.