2. be attached, be faithful, be devoted, be constant, be loyal, be true; stand by, stick by, support, give support.
3. hold to firmly, comply with, abide by, fulfill; observe, respect, acknowledge; obey, follow, heed, mind.
adherence, n.1. attachment, devotion, constancy, faithfulness, fidelity, fealty, loyalty, allegiance; compliance, obedience, abidance, acquiescence, concurrence, observance, respect, acknowledgment, assent.
2. adhesion, cohesion, cohesiveness; cementation, concretion, accretion; tenacity, tenaciousness; glutinousness, viscosity, stickiness.
adherent, n.1. supporter, follower, disciple, pupil, sectary; devotee, fan, rooter, votary, upholder, backer, advocate, champion, patron; helper, attendant, assistant, acolyte; confidant, companion, ally, partner, partisan; accomplice, Law.accessory, confederate, abettor, henchman; retainer, vassal, satellite, hanger-on, parasite, sycophant.
2. sticking, clinging, adhering, tenacious; tacky, gummy, gluey, viscous, viscid, glutinous, mucilaginous, Archaic, sizy.
adhesion, n.1. association, union, alliance, adher ence, strong connection, steady attachment; affinity, devotion, fidelity, faithfulness, loyalty, allegiance.
2. assent, concurrence, agreement, consent, acquiescence, approbation.
3. stickiness, clinginess, glutinousness, viscosity, viscidity, mucilaginousness.
adhesive, adj.1. clinging, adhering, sticking fast, tenacious; adhering, gummy, sticky, gummed, smeary, dauby, stringy, ropy; viscid, viscous, glutinous, aggluti-nant, agglutinative, mucilaginous. -n.2. sticker, label, stamp, Trademark.
Scotch tape; cellophane tape, gummed tape orlabel, adhesive tape orplaster, sticking plaster, court plaster, corn plaster.
3. glue, paste, rubber cement, musilage, library paste, Inf.stickum; sealing wax, solder, epoxy, mortar, plaster, cement.
adieu, interj.1. good-by, farewell, Inf.so long, Inf.bye-bye, see you later, fare thee well, God bless you; adios, Latin, vale,
sayonara, Fr. au revoir, It. ar-rivederci, Ger. auf Wiedersehen;
Godspeed, bon voyage, Ger. gluckliche Reise,
have a nice trip. -n. 2.
farewell, good-by, Latin, vale,
sayonara; Godspeed, bon voyage; parting, separation, departure, leave, leave-taking, conge, valediction, valedictory.
adjacency, n.juxtaposition, adjacence, contiguity, contiguousness, abuttal; nearness, closeness, proximity, proximateness, proximation, approximation, propinquity.
adjacent, adj.1. juxtapositional, juxtaposed, next to, proximate, bordering; contiguous, abutting, meeting, tangential, tangent, touching, contactual, Obs.attin-gent; near, nearby, close, close by, nigh.
2. neighboring, next-door, vicinal, environmental; adjoining, conjoining, connecting, attached.
3. preceding, precedent, foregoing, anterior, antecedent, previous, prior, just before; next, following, ensuing, succeeding, just after; facing, opposite.
adjoin, v. 1. border on orupon oragainst, abut on orupon, verge upon, impinge upon; lean on orupon oragainst; lie near to, lie close to, lie next to, lie orbe adjacent to; end at, stop at, finish at.
2. touch, reach, butt, border, impinge, abut, meet, meet end to end; join, conjoin, connect, attach, unite, affix, annex.
adjoining, adj.contiguous, abutting, tangential, tangent, contactual, touching, joining, conjoining, connecting, meeting, Obs.attingent; adjacent, bordering, skirting, edging, proximate, juxtapositional, juxtaposed, next to, Inf.right next to, Inf.next door to; near, nearby, close, close by, nigh, neighboring, converging, vicinal.