2. timid, timorous, cautious, diffident, intimidated; hesitant, reluctant, disinclined, indecisive, unsure, tentative, unwilling.
3. sorry, apologetic, regretful, remorseful; guilty, conscience-stricken, penitent, heavy-hearted.
again, anew, newly, freshly; once more, once again, encore, bis, over, over again, Latin, de novo.
aft, adv. Naut.
toward the stern, astern, sternward, abaft, aback, backward, back, at the back, behind, in the rear, rearward,
after, prep.1. later, following, subsequent to, at the close of, in succession to, because of, in consequence of.
2. behind, following, in the rear of, U.S.
in back of, Inf.back of, in the wake of.
3. (in order or rank)
below, nearest to, next to.
4. in pursuit of, in search of, in quest of, in desire of, Inf.out to get.
5. in imitation of, in the style of, like, in the mannei
of, on the model of, in the pattern of, after the nature of, according to; in compliance with, in harmony with, in conformity to, in agreement with.
6. concerning, about, regarding, relating to.
7. for, the same as, in honor of, in tribute to.
8. later, afterward, subsequently, next, following.
9. behind, in the rear, in back.
-adj.10. later, next, subsequent, succeeding, following, ensuing, consequent, resulting, latter.
11. Chiefly Nautical,
hinder, posterior, back, hind, rearward, further rear, farther aft, sternward,
afterlife, n.1. afterworld, the hereafter, future world, future life, life after death, the great beyond, the sweet by-and-by; heaven, Zion, Abraham's bosom, the New Jerusalem, the Heavenly City, the Celestial City; Elysium, Elysian Fields, Islands of the Blessed, Valhalla, happy hunting grounds; nirvana, Paradise; immortality, perpetuity, deathlessness, eternity.
2. later life, subsequent life, ensuing years,
aftermath, n.1. results, consequences, end, end result; issue, outcome, upshot, turnout; sequel, outgrowth, follow-up; backwash, wake, fallout; side effect, by-product; development, effect, fruit, offshoot; repercussion, afterclap.
2. second growth, second crop, fog, rowen.
aftermost, adj.hindmost, last, furthest, rear, farthest back, Obs.hindermost, Naut.
sternmost, Naut. aftmost.
afternoon, n.1. Latin, post meridiem,
p.m., Inf after; nap time, siesta time.
2. middle age, middle years, maturity; waning years, decline, ebb, wane.
afterthought, n.1. later thought, second thought, reconsideration, review; deliberation, meditation.
2. reflection, retrospection, reexamination, respeculation, Inf.second guess, rehash.
3. addition, supplement, extension; addendum, appendix, epilogue, postscript, P.S.
afterward, afterwards, adv.
subsequently, after, then, next, in aftertimes, thereafter, thereupon, thereon, latterly, later, ultimately, posteriorly, ensuingly.
afterworld, n.afterlife, the hereafter, future world. See - afterlife (def.1).
My Account / Test History
I read it in one and a half hour.
I read it in one and a half hours.
In English, use the plural with anything greater than one, even it it's less than two.