cipher, reckon, count, calculate, tot up, (on a cash register) ring up, enumerate, numerate.
6. amount to, number, reach, come to, mount up to, Inf. comprise.
7. Slang, destroy, demolish. See - destroy (def. 1) and
demolish (def. 2).
totalitarian, adj. authoritarian, autocratic, mono-cratic; tyrannical, despotic, oppressive, iron-handed, fascist, fascistic, Nazi; dictatorial, absolute, unlimited, unrestricted, arbitrary, omnipotent, all-powerful,
totalitarianism, n. authoritarianism, autocracy, monocracy, dictatorship, absolutism; tyranny, despotism, oppression, iron hand, iron fist, iron rule, absolute control or power; fascism, Nazism, Hitlerism,
totality, n. 1. entirety, entireness, wholeness, completeness, allness; integrity, integrality, fullness, plenitude; comprehensiveness, universality, Rare, om-nitude, inclusiveness.
2. all, the whole, alpha and omega, beginning and end, length and breadth; everything, everybody,
totem, n. effigy, icon, figure, image, representation,
Archaic, recognizance; emblem, badge, insignia, regalia, token; symbol, sign, mark, indicium,
totter, v. 1. shuffle, shamble, limp, hobble, poke along; plod, slog, slug, trudge. See - teeter (def 2). 2. sway, rock, waver, wobble, bob; flutter, tremble, dodder, shake, shimmy, quake, quiver, shiver, shudder; (of flame or light) flicker, gutter,
touch, v. 1. feel, finger, thumb, palm; hold, pick up, handle, manipulate, twiddle, trifle with, play with; palpate, poke around in; examine or investigate or study with the hands, stroke, caress, pet, fondle, paw, Sl. feel up, Yiddish, glet; massage, knead, rub, press; pat, tap, tamp, rap; strike, hit, bop, conk, thump; poke, jab, elbow, hit; swat, whack, smack, Inf. lay a finger or a hand on.
2. meet, be or come up against, be in or come into contact with, be contiguous with, conjoin, adjoin, abut, border on, neighbor; graze, brush or rub up against, sweep against or across, scrape or drag against or upon; press up against, bump into, glance, crash into, collide with, impinge upon.
3. attain, reach, arrive at, make it to, get up to, come up to, get to, achieve, gain; measure up to, match, parallel, equal, be on a par with, be on equal footing with, Inf. stack up to; compare with, be a match for, be any comparison with, hold a candle to, be in the same class as, rival; approach, be compared with, come near, get close to, be as good as, be mentioned in the same breath as.
4. dab, dot, bedaub, spot, blot; dapple, speckle, bespeckle; mark, leave a mark on, leave a trace of; color, tinge, tincture, tint, tone; lace, interweave, intersperse.
5. touch down land, make a landing, alight, hit ground, come into port or shore, drop anchor, splash down, set down, pancake, belly-flop, Aeron. belly-land; stop, make a stop, come to a stop or rest, make a pit stop; arrive, reach one's destination, get there, reach the end of one's journey; touch base, drop by or in, call on or up or in, keep in contact with, write to, talk to, visit.
6. affect, have an effect or impact on, influence, impress, make an impression; imbue, fill, inject with, instill with, ingrain with, inculcate with, indoctrinate with; inspire, inspirit, infect with, rouse, fire up, get all fired up, charge up, arouse, impassion, excite, stimulate.
7. reach, get through to, make contact with, get one's message to, make oneself heard, register with, make a dent in; strike a chord or familiar chord in, come home to, Inf. hit home, Inf sink in; move, stir, tug at the heartstrings of, play or work or act on or upon one's emotions, soften, melt; strike a nerve in, agitate, upset, perturb, nettle, disturb, shake, rattle, ruffle, disquiet; jolt, jar, shock, Inf throw [s.o.] for a loop; sting, hurt, injure, grieve, cut to the quick, pierce, smite, Inf. hit [s.o.] where it hurts.