3. information, news, tidings, word, data, facts, notification,tip, Inf tip-off, knowledge, inside information, Inf. low-down, SI. dope; notification, account, story, report, coverage; secrets, confidence; rumor, gossip, Inf. scuttlebutt.
4. surveillance, observation, scrutinization, investigation, spying, spy, watching.
5. (usu. cap.) the Omniscient, Omniscience, Mind, God, Allah, Supreme Being. intelligent, adj. 1. perspicacious, discerning, penetrating, perceptive, percipient, insightful; gifted, well-endowed, talented, intellectual, intelligential, brainy; educated, learned, instructed, well-schooled; erudite, knowledgeable, versed, well-read, aware, knowing, Fr. au fait; astute, shrewd, SI. savvy, keen, long-headed, hard-headed, subtle; ace, topflight, top-drawer, first-rate, Inf. topnotch, Inf. crack, SI. crackerjack, SI. on the ball, Inf. whiz-bang, Brit. SI. whizzo.
2. ingenious, apt, clever, adroit, deft, smart, foxy; alert, wide-awake, brilliant, luminous, bright, acute, sharp, sharp-witted, sharp as a tack; agile, quick, quick-witted, ready; sagacious, sage, wise, sapient, sapiential; rational, logical, reasonable, commonsensi-cal, having a good head on one's shoulders; judicious, prudent, sensible; able, capable, competent.
3. rational, conscious, higher order; sane, lucid.
intelligentsia, n. intellectuals, literati, SI. brains, philosophes, cognoscenti, savants, academes, the learned, mental giants, think tank, brain trust, masterminds; illuminati, the enlightened* aesthetes, connoisseurs, (all sometimes disparaging) highbrows, Inf. upper crust; bohemians, free spirits, free thinkers. intelligibility, n. understandability, understandableness, comprehendibility, comprehendibleness, comprehensibility, comprehensibleness, penetrability; perceptibility, discernibleness, apprehensibility, decipherability, legibility; lucidity, lucidness, luminousness, luminosity, perspicuity, clarity, clearness, plainness, plain language or speaking; explicitness, preciseness, precision, exactness, definiteness, clear-cutness, unambiguousness, unambiguity, lack of ambiguity; apparentness, evidentness, obviousness, manifestness. intelligible, adj. understandable, comprehendible, comprehensible, cognizable, cognoscible, fathomable, penetrable, knowable; perceptible, discernible, apprehensible, appreciable, legible, decipherable; clear, crystal clear, clear as day, lucid, luminous, perspicuous, pellucid, translucent; simple, plain, plain as day, plain as the nose on one's face; explicit, precise, definite, clear-cut, unambiguous, unobscure; transparent, transpicuous, apparent, obvious, evident, manifest. intemperance, n. 1. alcoholism, dipsomania, drunkenness, intoxication, inebriety, oenomania, crapulence; saturnalia, bacchanals, carousal, orgy, debauch, spree, Inf. bender, SI. tear, SI. binge.
2. self-gratification, self-indulgence, unrestraint; licentiousness, libertinism, debauchery, dissoluteness, dolce vita, dissipation, profligacy, profligateness; lechery, lewdness, Pathol, satyriasis, goatishness, Pathol. nymphomania; concupiscence, lust, prurience, pruriency; lustfulness, libidinousness, salacity, salaciousness; promiscuity, wantonness, abandon, lawlessness, incontinence, unrestraint.
3. gluttony, gormandizing, swinishness, hoggishness; voracity, voraciousness, ravenousness, omniverous-ness, insatiety, insatiateness, insatiability, insatiableness.
4. immoderation, excess, excessiveness, inordinateness, exaggeration; extravagance, exorbitance, exorbitantness; unreasonableness, preposterousness, outrageousness, unconscionableness. intemperate, adj. 1. drunken, sottish, Inf. boozy, SI. pifficated, SI. pie-eyed; alcoholic, dipsomaniacal, bibulous, bibacious; intoxicated, inebriated, Rare, inebrious; winebibbing, oenomaniacal, SI. wino; Bacchanalian. See - drunk.