less, defective, deficient, mindless, vacant; dull, slow, muddleheaded.
3. silly, absurd, fatuous, foolish, giddy, asinine, senseless, inane, addlepated, flighty, crazy, stupid, Inf. wacky.
imbecility, n. 1. feeble-mindedness, mental defectiveness, mental retardation, incompetency, dullness, Psychiatry, amentia; feebleness, weakness, incapability, unfitness, ineptitude, disability.
2. silliness, absurdity, fatuity, foolishness, asininity, inanity, senselessness, brainlessness, flightiness, nonsense, folly, craziness.
imbibe, v. 1. drink, quaff, sip, sup, Archaic, bib, Inf. swig, Inf. belt, Inf pull; drain, wash down, toss off; gulp, swallow, SI. guzzle or guzzle down, SI. swill or swill down; (all of alcoholic beverages) tipple, tope, bouse, Inf. booze, nip, Archaic, dram; All Inf. gargle, wet or moisten one's whistle, take a drop, SI. chug, SI. chug-a-lug, lap, lap up, commune with the spirits, drown one's sorrows; All SI. hit the sauce or bottle or booze, tie one on, scoop a few, knock a few back, liquor up, souse, dip the beak, bend or crook or exercise or raise an elbow.
2. absorb, suck up, draw up or in, take up or in, osmose; sponge, sponge up, soak up, blot up, sop up; eat, ingest, ingurgitate, gulp down, gobble up or down.
3. learn, acquire, gain, get, pick up, digest; assimilate, get by osmosis, gain or glean knowledge, Inf. get hold of.
imbroglio, n. 1. complication, complexity, perplexity, problem; difficulty, entanglement, involvement; confusion, uncertainty, quandary; muddle, mess, botch, jumble, hodgepodge; trouble, Inf. hot water, scrape; dilemma, predicament, plight, Inf. pickle, Inf. fix, Inf. stew; corner, tight spot, SI. box, bind, double bind, catch-22, vicious circle, strait, Inf. squeeze, pinch; impasse, standstill, stalemate, deadlock, stymie.
2. disagreement, conflict, opposition, strife; controversy, contention, altercation, argument, quarrel, SI. mix-up, dispute, disputation.
3. commotion, disturbance, turmoil; fracas, row, donnybrook; bedlam, chaos, babel.
4. labyrinth, maze, jungle, wilderness; network, complex, complicacy, complexity; web, webwork, tangle, tangled skein, sleave; bafflement, riddle, puzzle, knot, Gordian knot.
imbrue, v. 1. drench, soak, bathe, steep, infuse, tincture, penetrate, impregnate; saturate, imbue, permeate, souse, drown, inundate; douse, wash, wet; immerse, immerge, dip, dunk, submerse, submerge.
2. stain, taint, sully, defile.
imbue, v. 1. impregnate, fill with, inject with; indoctrinate, inculcate, implant; impress, instill, ingrain.
2. inspire, inflame, arouse; fire, charge, stir, stimulate; affect, infect, influence.
3. imbrue, drench, infuse, tincture, penetrate, permeate. See - imbrue (def. 1).
imitate, v. 1. pattern or model after, do like, emulate, parallel; copy, copycat, follow as an example, take after, walk in the footsteps of, tread in the steps of, tear or take a page from [s.o.'s] book, follow suit, match.
2. mimic, ape, monkey, parrot, repeat, reflect, mirror, echo; impersonate, SI. make like, mock, parody, take off, caricature, burlesque; simulate, assume, represent, take on, affect.
3. duplicate, reproduce, make a copy, replicate, Trademark. Xerox, clone.
4. counterfeit, forge, fake, sham; plagiarize, SI. lift.