2. tackle, come to grips with, cope with; brave, meet head on, take the bull by the horns; face up to, face to face, come face to face with, meet, encounter; front, stand in front of, stand facing.
3. attack, accost, affront, assail; assault, set upon, aggress, waylay; charge, storm, invade; bother, trouble, annoy, harass, molest, harry, bully; badger, nag, pester, pursue, importune; call to, appeal to, invoke.
4. set face to face, bring face to face, set opposite, pit against; compare with, stand over against; set side by side, set in opposition.
confrontation, n. 1. showdown, face-off; settlement, crisis, turning point; contest, battle, encounter, conflict.
2. opposition, counteraction, counter, contradiction, thwart, cross, confrontment; dispute, disputation, challenge, threat, dare; defiance, resistance, withstanding.
3. attack, assailment, assault; charging, storming, invading; bother, trouble, annoyance, harassment, molestation; badgering, nagging, pestering, importuning.
4. tackling, grappling, coping with, braving, taking the bull by the horns; meeting, facing, facing up to, meeting face to face.
confuse, v. 1. blend, mix, intermix, combine, mingle, intermingle, commingle; blur, make unclear or indistinct, obscure, merge, lump together, tangle, entangle; mix up, transpose, interchange, juggle, switch.
2. mistake, confound, mix up, fail to see or make distinctions, Inf. compare apples with oranges.
3. disarrange, derange, disturb, disorder, disarray, disorganize; jumble, muddle, fuddle, Brit. Si. muzz, snarl, Si. ball up; bungle, spoil, upset, Si. foul up, Si. bollix up.
4. perplex, bewilder, baffle, nonplus, puzzle, mystify, pose, obfuscate, befog; buffalo, Si. snow, Inf. cross [s.o.] up.
5. stupefy, shock, disarm, discompose, Inf. discom-bobulate; disorient, unhinge, unbalance, throw off balance, upset, fluster, flutter, rattle, addle, befuddle, distract, demoralize.
6. disconcert, abash, embarrass, mortify, shame; discomfit, dismay, consternate, irritate, chagrin.
confused, adj. 1. blurry, foggy, unclear, indistinct, uncertain, hazy, obscure; mixed-up, transposed, interchanged, switched, confounded.
2. disorderly, in disorder, in disarray, hugger-mugger, disarranged, deranged, disorganized, jumbled, higgledy-piddledy; muddled, at sixes and sevens; tangled, snarled, Inf. fouled-up, Inf. balled-up, bungled, bollixed-up.
3. perplexed, bewildered, baffled, nonplused, mystified, buffaloed; uncertain, at sea, at a loss; stupefied, shocked, taken aback, thrown off balance; discomposed, flustered, upset, Inf. discombobulated, agitated, excited, aflutter, Archaic, bemazed.
4. disoriented, unhinged, unbalanced; fuzzy, in a fog, in a daze, in a stupor, Inf. muzzy, Inf. spaced out, Inf. out of it, Inf. flipped out, Si. all wet.
confusion, n. 1. disarray, disorganization, disarrangement, derangement, confusedness; jumble, mess, Inf. stew, huddle,Scot. Inf. guddle, mix-up, snafu,//?/ foul-up, Si. ballup, Brit. Si. balls-up.