detachment, n. 1. disconnection, separation, severing, disseverance, disengagement, disjoining; loosening, unfixing; division, disunion, dissociation, segregation, abstraction.
2. aloofness, unconcern, indifference; preoccupation, absent-mindedness, inattention; faineancy, donothingness.
3. impartiality, freedom from prejudice, objectivity, disinterestedness, dispassion; tolerance, broadmindedness.
4. party, detail, force, body, division, men; squadron, garrison, regiment, brigade, battalion, squad, corps, platoon.
detail, n. 1. item, particular, fact, point, factor, element, circumstance; aspect, feature, respect, attribute; unit, component, part, member, accessory.
2. details particulars, minutiae, niceties, fine points, fine print; counts, items, petty or minor details, trivialities, trivia.
3. attention, devotion, fidelity, faithfulness; conscientiousness, meticulousness, method, punctiliousness, scrupulousness; exaction, exactitude, exactness, precision, accuracy, correctness, nicety.
4. appointment, assignment, mission, errand; duty, charge, commission, task, chore, stint, job, part.
5. party, squad, group, detachment, company, body, force.
-v. 6. specify, spell out, delineate; relate, recount, narrate, set forth; describe, depict, portray, mention; cite, cite chapter and verse, note, mark, point out, designate, indicate; list, enumerate, tabulate, codify, catalogue; itemize, particularize, differentiate; dot one's i's and cross one's t's.
7. appoint, assign, delegate, charge, commission; name, select, nominate, elect,
detailed, adj. 1. involved, complex, complicated, intricate; convoluted, embarrassed, entangled.
2. itemized, particularized, individualized; exhaustive, comprehensive, thorough, plenary, complete, all-inclusive; particular, precise, minute, circumstantial; specific, pointed, explicit, express, exact, to the point,
detain, v. 1. retard, slow, stay, buttonhole, check, delay, hinder; impede, inhibit, keep back, withhold. 2. stop, arrest, Inf. collar, retain, restrain, confine, secure, lock up, incarcerate, imprison, impound; pen, coop up, put behind bars, immure,
detect, v. 1. discover, find, ferret out, dig up, unearth; sleuth, track down, turn up; catch, come across or upon, stumble across or upon, light or happen upon, chance upon.
2. ascertain, determine, establish, get to the bottom of; uncover, unmask, unveil, lay open, bring to light, bring out; expose, disclose, reveal.
3. descry, espy, observe, spy, spot, see, make out; discern, apprehend, perceive, learn of, Brit, twig; intuit, sense, feel, read, become aware of, get wind or scent of, smell out. -
detection, n. 1. discovering, finding out, ferreting out, unearthing, tracking down, smelling out; observation, espial.
2. discovery, find; ascertainment, determination, establishment; apprehension, perception, sighting,
detective, n. investigator, private investigator, SI. private eye, FBI agent, G-man, Inf. sleuth, Inf. bird dog, Inf. sherlock, shadow, Inf. tail, U.S. SI. dick, U.S. SI. fuzz, SI. narc; policeman, police officer, Chiefly Brit, constable, Inf. cop, SI. copper, U.S. SI. gumshoe, SI. flatfoot, SI. bull,
detention, n. 1. restraint, detainment, retention; confinement, durance, duress, imprisonment, incarceration, quarantine.