apart, adv. 1. separately, singly, alone, individually, independently; privately, secretly, exclusively; aloof, distant, away, afar; to the side, aside, by itself or oneself, to itself or oneself.
2. asunder, disjointly, Archaic, atwain, in pieces, to pieces, in two.
3. apart from besides, aside from, in addition to; other than, not counting, beyond that, excluding, except for.
apartment, n. 1. flat, tenement, rent, walk-up, cold-water flat, Brit, chambers, Brit, apartments, Chiefly Brit, maisonette; penthouse, townhouse, suite, story, condominium, Inf. condo; chamber, room, stall, cell, nook, cabin, compartment.
2. apartment building, apartment house, apartment complex, apartment block, high rise, high riser, high-rise apartments, Brit, mansions.
3. quarters, living quarters, rooms, accommodations, housing, lodging, lodgings, lodging place, lodgment, housing, roof over one's head, Inf. pad, Inf. crash pad, Chiefly Brit. Inf. diggings, Brit. Inf. digs.
apathetic, adj. 1. impassive, unemotional, emotionless, unfeeling, dispassionate, insentient, insensible, numb; cool, cold, frigid, frosty, icy; phlegmatic, lethargic, listless, languid, dull, stolid, bovine; inert, lifeless, torpid, inanimate, supine, spiritless, sluggish.
2. indifferent, unconcerned, unresponsive, uninterested, disinterested, incurious, uninquisitive; aloof, removed, detached, withdrawn.
apathy, n. 1. impassivity, dispassion, lack of feeling or emotion, insentience, insensibility, unfeelingness, numbness; coolness, coldness, frigidity; phlegm, lethargy, languor, listlessness, dullness, stolidity, sluggishness, torpor; inertness, lifelessness, inanimation, supineness, spiritlessness.
2. indifference, unconcern, unresponsiveness, uninterestedness, disinterest, incuriousness, uninquisitiveness.
ape, n. 1. monkey, gorilla, baboon, chimpanzee, chimp, orang-utan, gibbon, pongid, anthropoid, quadrumane.
2. imitator, mimic, Inf. copycat, parrot, echo, shadow, copyist.
-v. 3. imitate, impersonate, Inf. take-off, Inf. do a take-off of, mimic, SI. make like; mime, mirror, reflect, echo, parrot, take the appearance of; emulate, do like, follow suit, copy, affect, simulate, duplicate, reproduce, parallel; parody, caricature, burlesque, travesty, mock, sham, counterfeit, forge.
aperture, n. opening, hole, eye, eyelet, eyehole, peephole, pinhole, puncture, perforation, interstice, pore, bore, airhole, spiracle; slit, crack, gash, vent, slot, rent, foramen; chink, cleft, cranny, rift, crevice, fissure, Archaic, scissure; gap, break, breach, chasm, gulf, embouchure, open space, hiation; outlet, inlet, mouth, orifice, window, porthole, oriel; entrance, gate, hatch, door, portal, trap door, wicket, postern, vomitory, vomitorium; mousehole, keyhole, pigeonhole.
apex, n. 1. summit, vertex, apogee, crest, heights, pinnacle, peak, spire, point, tip, tiptop; top, loft, aerie, cap, crown, headpiece, head.
2. acme, zenith, maximum, climax, culmination, crowning point, Latin, ne plus ultra; meridian, sublimity, supremacy, perfection, consummation, extreme, utmost, uttermost.
aphorism, n. proverb, apothegm, gnome, mot, adage, epigram, Archaic, word, Archaic, sentence; saw, pithy statement, sententious saying, saying; axiom, maxim, precept, dictum; epigram, witticism, Fr. jeu d'esprit, quip, Atticism; rule, golden rule, motto, moral, byword; cliche, hackneyed phrase, platitude, truism, Inf. bromide, commonplace.
My Account / Test History
Brian left from England last week.
Brian left England last week.