autochthons; venerables, patriarchs, elders,
antiseptic, adj. 1. disinfectant, germicidal, bactericidal.
2. sterile, germfree, uncontaminated, unpolluted; spotless, immaculate, clean, pure, scrubbed.
-n. 3. disinfectant, germicide, bactericide; purifier, cleanser, Eccles. purificator.
antisocial, adj. unsociable, unfriendly, uncommunicative, reserved, closed, unsympathetic; antagonistic, hostile, menacing, threatening; opposed, conflicting, clashing, incompatible; misanthropic, man-hating, woman-hating, cynical; anarchic, revolutionary, radical, unpatriotic.
antithesis, n. 1. opposition, contrast, contraposition, contrariety.
2. reverse, contrary, converse, inverse; opposite, an-tipode, other extreme, pole.
antithetic, adj. opposed, contrasted, opposite, antithetical, antipodian; counter, contrary, reverse, converse, inverse; diametrically opposed, polar, poles apart.
antitoxin, n. 1. antibody, counteracter, antivenin, counterpoison, Immun. alexin, Immun. complement; neutralizer, nullifier, Old Pharm. mithridate.
2. vaccine, antiserum, serum, antidote, vaccinia, virus, Med. specific, Vet. Pathol, cowpox; preventive, protection, vaccination, inoculation, alexipharmic, theriac, theriaca, Med. prophylactic,
anxiety, n. 1. uneasiness, disquiet, disquietude, inquietude, fretfulness; worry, trouble, concern, care, solicitude; nervousness, ants, Inf. butterflies, Inf. butterflies in one's stomach, SI. heebie-jeebies, SI. habdabs; misgiving, presentiment, foreboding; apprehension, fear, dread, angst; anguish, pain, suffering, torment, torture.
2. eagerness, avidity, intentness; desire, yearning, longing, aching,
anxious, n. 1. distressed, disturbed, worried, troubled, carking, concerned, solicitous; uneasy, ill at ease, disquieted, unquiet, fretful, restless, itching; nervous, SI. antsy, Inf. on pins and needles, on tenterhooks; on edge, perturbed, worked or wrought up; watchful, apprehensive, Inf. with one's heart in one's mouth, fearful, afraid; anguished, pained, suffering, tormented, tortured.
2. desirous, eager, avid, intent, keen, ardent,
any, adj. 1. one, a, an, a single one, some; any one, Inf. any old, whatever, whichever; every, all.
-pron. 2. anybody, anyone, somebody, someone. -adv. 3. somewhat, to some extent, to any extent, at all, in any degree, in the least, even a little bit.
anyhow, adv. 1. in any way, anyway, Dial, anyways, anywise, in any manner, by any means.
2. in any case, at all events, in any event; no matter what, regardless, anyway, in spite of the fact that, notwithstanding; at any rate, nevertheless, nonetheless.
3. carelessly, haphazardly, any which way, negligently, sloppily; heedlessly, mindlessly, without thinking.
anytime, adv. 1. at any time, whenever, at any moment, no matter when, whenever you like, at your convenience, when you will.
2. invariably, without exception, always, without fail, every time, consistently,
anyway, adv. in any way, anyhow, in any case, any which way. See - anyhow (defs. 1-3). apace, adv. quickly, speedily, rapidly, swiftly, hurriedly; hastily, posthaste, with dispatch, expeditiously, readily; full speed, in full sail, Inf. lickety-split, U.S. Army, in double time, double-quick; at top speed, in high gear, hotfoot, zooming, full tilt; tantivy, at full gallop, hellbent, whip and spur, amain; headlong, hurry-scurry, pell mell.