5. gratitude, gratefulness, thankfulness, thanks, thanksgiving; acknowledgment, obligation.
6. critical notice, review, opinion, commentary, critique; applause, acclamation, laudation, praise, tribute.
7. increase, raise, boost, advance; growth, spread, swell; escalation, multiplication. appreciative, adj. 1. understanding, comprehending, apprehending; realizing, cognizant of, conscious of, alive to, aware of, sensible of, SI. hip; acquainted with, no stranger to, Fr. au fait.
2. grateful, thankful; obliged, under obligation, indebted, beholden.
3. sympathetic, sensitive; supportive, responsive, encouraging, reassuring; pleased, enthusiastic, praiseful. apprehend, v. 1. arrest, seize, take into custody, haul in; Inf pick up, Inf. nab, Inf pinch, SI. bust, SI. nail, SI. run in, put the arm on [s.o.]; capture, catch, Inf. collar, take prisoner; detain, hold, secure; lock up, imprison, jail, incarcerate, immure.
2. comprehend, understand, take in, receive, Chiefly Scot. ken; apperceive, cognize, recognize, know, grasp, get, seize, Inf. get a fix on; fathom, penetrate, Inf. lay hold of; imagine, conceive, Archaic, hent; appreciate, SI. dig, SI. savvy, get the picture.
3. perceive, see, make out, discern, read, Brit, twig, Inf. make heads or tails of; intuit, sense, feel.
4. mistrust, distrust, suspect; anticipate, expect, forebode; dread, fear, funk, quail, shrink; cower, skulk, crouch, quake in one's boots, have cold feet. apprehension, n. 1. fear, foreboding, presentiment, premonition, prescience, presage; anxiety, dread, worry, disquiet, solicitude, care, concern; misgiving/ uncertainty, suspicion, mistrust, distrust, qualm; uneasiness, apprehensiveness, Inf. butterflies, nervousness, queasiness; SI. heebie-jeebies, the jitters, SI. the willies, SI. the creeps; alarm, perturbation, dismay, consternation, trepidation.
2. understanding, intellect, intelligence, mind, reason, Gk. Philos, nous; comprehension, apperception, grasp, insight, cognition, penetration; sense, intuition, feeling, imagination; perception, perspicacity, discernment; awareness, knowing, ken, knowledge; recognition, cognizance, realization, appreciation.
3. view, opinion, idea, sentiment; thought, impression, judgment, conjecture; belief, fancy, supposition, notion.
4. seizure, arrest, capture; detention, restraint, constraint, custody, taking into custody, SI. bust; imprisonment, incarceration, durance, jailing. apprehensive, adj. 1. uneasy, anxious, qualmish, fretful; worried, alarmed, concerned, solicitous; disturbed, distressed, disquieted; fearful, afraid, scared; suspicious, mistrustful, distrustful, uncertain; nervous, SI. uptight, queasy, jittery, skittish, jumpy; shaky, tremulous, trembling; quaky, fidgety, restless, restive, unquiet; hesitant, faltering, quavering, wavering; timid, cowardly, pusillanimous, timorous.
2. perceptive, discerning, penetrating, piercing; keen, sharp, acute, quick; percipient, perspicacious, discriminating, astute; sagacious, judicious, sapient, wise; sensitive, sensible, responsive, sentient, impressible; aware, cognizant, conscious, knowing, apperceptive, awake to; intelligent, understanding, comprehending; imaginative, inventive, thoughtful, apprentice, n. 1. novice, tyro, beginner, cub, greenhorn; neophyte, novitiate, newcomer, rookie, recruit, probationer; student, pupil, learner.
-v. 2. article, bind, tie, contract, attach, associate; employ, enroll, place, position; train, instruct, coach, guide, teach the tricks of the trade.