quidnunc, n. gossip, gossipmonger, rumormonger, newsmonger, newshound, scandalmonger, SI. yenta, Archaic, flibbertigibbet; meddler, intermeddler, busybody, pry, Paul pry, snoop, Inf. snooper, Inf. busy, Inf. nosy, Inf. nosybody, Inf. nosy Parker, Inf. kibitzer, Australian SI. stickybeak; eavesdropper, Dumbo. quid pro quo, Latin, substitution, exchange, interchange, interplay, one thing for another, something for something; trading, barter, Inf swapping, Chiefly U.S. Politics, logrolling, U.S. SI. pork barrel; persiflage, badinage, repartee; retaliation, reprisal, requital, lex talionis, talion, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth; tit for tat, measure for measure, like for like, give and taken, blow for blow, a Roland for an Oliver; a game two can play, battledore and shuttlecock,
quiescence, n. 1. rest, repose, ease; dormancy, hibernation, latency; pause, lull, break, halt, stop; suspension, suspense, standstill; cessation, discontinuance, inaction, inactivity; deferment, postponement, hesitation, hesitancy, delay, wait; interim, interval, intermission, intermittence, intermittency; status quo, waiting period, waiting game.
2. stagnation, inertia, lethargy; immobility, motionlessness, inertness.
3. tranquillity, peace, peacefulness, quiet, quietude, calm, calmness; stillness, silence, hush.
4. drowsiness, sleepiness, somnolence, sleep,
quiescent, adj. 1. still, stock-still, motionless; stationary, inactive, unmoving, immovable, immobile; becalmed.
2. calm, quiet, reposeful, serene, placid, tranquil; unruffled, unagitated, undisturbed, untroubled; pacific, peaceful, restful; silent, noiseless, soundless, hushed.
3. stagnant, sluggish, lifeless, inert, passive, lethargic; torpid, torpescent, dull, sleepy, asleep, sleeping, comatose.
4. suspended, deferred, postponed, abeyant; waiting, hesitating, hesitant, delaying; pausing, resting, stopping, breaking, in abeyance.
quiet1, n. 1. silence, stillness, hush; soundlessness, noiselessness, quietness, quietude; tranquillity, serenity, placidity, imperturbation, calmness, calm; quiescence, peacefulness, peace; ease, repose, rest.
2. pause, lull, break, halt, standstill, stop; cessation, abatement, discontinuance, suspension, suspense, abeyance; deferment, postponement, delay, wait; interim, interval, intermission, intermittence, intermittency; dormancy, hibernation, latency; status quo, waiting period, waiting game; inaction, inactivity, stagnation, stagnancy; immobility, motionlessness.
3. uncommunicativeness, secretiveness.
quiet2, adj. 1. calm, passive, peaceable, mild, quiescent; tranquil, reposeful, halcyon, serene, sedate, placid, peaceful, pacific, restful; undisturbed, unruffled, untroubled, unagitated.
2. composed, temperate, sober, grave, unexcitable, unexcited, unperturbed, imperturbable, indifferent, cool, cool-headed; subdued, restrained, moderate, unobtrusive, unobtruding, undemonstrative; taciturn, uncommunicative, reserved, reticent; stoical, unimpassioned, dispassionate, philosophical.
3. still, stock-still, motionless, immovable, immobile; stationary, fixed, unmoved, unmoving, becalmed; stagnant, lifeless, inert; inactive, latent, dormant, dormient.
4. silent, noiseless, soundless, hushed; mute, speechless, mum, voiceless.
My Account / Test History
I read it in one and a half hour.
I read it in one and a half hours.
In English, use the plural with anything greater than one, even it it's less than two.