2. countenance, acknowledgement, endorsement, seal or stamp of approval, stamp, seal, signet, sigil, cachet; support, backing, advocacy, sponsoring, favor, encouragement.
3. ratification, confirmation, passage, acceptance; affirmative vote, aye, yea, yes, Inf. O.K.; approval, approbation, grant; assent, agreement, concurrence, compliance, accedence, acquiescence. - v. 4. authorize, warrant, certify, accredit, license, legalize, validate, notarize, visa; permit, allow, consent to, subscribe to, vouchsafe; commission, empower, entitle, invest, depute, Eccles. ordain.
5. countenance, acknowledge, endorse, underwrite, countersign, witness; support, uphold, defend, vouch for, back up, stand behind or by; sponsor, advocate, patronize, favor, promote, foster, boost, abet, encourage.
6. ratify, confirm, bind, accept, pass, vote for, say “aye” or “yea”; approve, give one's nod of approval, Inf. O.K., Chiefly U.S. approbate; agree to, give one's assent, concur with, accede to.
sanctity, n. holiness, sanctitude, saintliness, godliness; sacredness, divineness, divinity; religiosity, spirituality, devoutness, piety, religiousness; devotion, dedication, reverence; righteousness, goodness, virtue, virtuousness, purity, chastity, grace,
sanctuary, n. 1. holy place, shrine, reliquary, naos, dagoba; sanctum, delubrum, adytum, bethel; altar, tabernacle, holy of holies, sanctum, sanctorum, ark; chancel, Eccles. sacrarium, conventicle, chapel, chantry, oratory, prayer house, Hinduism, ashram or asmara; church, house of worship, house of God, temple, synagogue, Yiddish, shul, mosque, pagoda.
2. asylum, refuge, haven, port; shelter, safe-hold, retreat; hideout, hideaway, hiding place, cover, covert, cache, cubbyhole; safety, seclusion, immunity, quarantine.
3. preserve, reserve, reservation, park; wildlife preserve, bird sanctuary, national park, national forest, state forest; Indian reservation, sacred ground.
sand, n. 1. gravel, debris, grit, detritus, attritus; grain, grain of sand, granule, speck, bit, brecchia.
2. sands beach, shore, seashore, strand; sandbar, sand dune, sand hill, sand pile; desert, waste, Sahara.
3. U.S. Informal, pluck, courage, grit, true grit, nerve, Inf. backbone; mettle, Inf. spunk, SI. guts, chutzpah, toughness, gameness.
-v. 4. smooth, sandpaper, emery, file; grind, abrade, pumice, scour, buff; polish, burnish, dress, rub.
sandbank, n. shoal, ridge, reef, bar, shallow; sandbar, ford, coral reef; key, cay, atoll, island, isle,
sandy, adj. 1. gravelly, gritty, shingly, pebbly; sabulous, arenose, grainy, granular, granulated, Geol. pSammitic.
2. yellowish-red, saffron, tawny, ocher, ocherous, buff; yellow, yellowish, xanthous, topaz, lutescent, golden; flaxen, blond, tow-headed, dirty blond.
3. unstable, shaky, shifting, vicissitudinous; infirm, unsteady, changeful, changing; unsubstantial, unreliable, precarious, unsafe, unsound, hazardous.
sane, adj. 1. rational, normal, right, right-minded, Latin, compos mentis; sober, stable, of sound mind, of sound judgment, sound-minded; sound, healthy, wholesome; lucid, cogent, logical, perceiving, discerning; SI. all there, SI. together, SI. having all one's marbles, in possession of one's faculties or senses.