2. (all excessively) glib, facile, easy, slick, smooth.
3. mastered, perfected, Inf. down, Inf. down cold or pat; memorized, ingrained, infixed. -adv. 4. exactly, precisely, perfectly, flawlessly, faultlessly, just right, just so, dead, Inf. right on target, Inf. right on the button, Inf. right on the money.
5. aptly, relevantly, exactly to the point, germanely, pertinently, applicably; appropriately, fittingly, suitably; opportunely, seasonably, auspiciously, fortunately, favorably, right on time, just in time; conveniently, expediently, advantageously; happily, felicitously.
6. stand pat cling, hold firm, hold fast, not let go; stand fast, not budge, stand or hold one's ground, stick to one's guns, Inf. stay put.
patch, n. 1. piece of material, piece, Archaic. clout.
2. snip, snippet, tag, tatter, scrap, shred, tag, stitch.
3. tract, plot, plot of land or ground, plat, lot, parcel of land, field, Brit, croft.
-v. 4. mend, sew, sew up, stitch; darn, Archaic. clout; strengthen, reinforce; cover.
5. (all usu. in a hasty or makeshift manner) fix, Inf. fix up, repair, restore, recondition, Inf. doctor or doctor up; jury-rig, toss or throw together, slap together, knock together, Brit, knock up.
6. settle, settle differences, set straight or right, bring to terms; ameliorate, meliorate, appease, pacify, propitiate, placate, conciliate, pour oil on troubled waters.
patchwork, n. hodgepodge, Brit, hotchpotch, mish mash, jumble, tumble, scramble, tangle, mess, confused mess, confusion; conglomeration, pastiche, pasticcio, farrago, gallimaufry, Chinese menu, crazy quilt; medley, mdlange, potpourri, mixture, SI. mixed bag, Inf. grab bag; miscellany, omnium-gatherum.
patent, n. 1. copyright, right, certificate of invention, Law. letters patent; trademark, registered trademark, trade name; license, permit, grant, charter, franchise.
2. invention, creation, brainchild; work, production, contrivance; process, procedure, method.
-adj. 3. patented, copyrighted, copyright, trademarked, with all rights reserved; licensed, chartered, franchised.
4. apparent, evident, ostensible, perspicuous, palpable, tangible; obvious, self-evident, plain, plain as day, plain as can be, plain as a pikestaff; clear, clear-cut, crystal-clear, clear as the nose on one's face, manifest; definite, decided, pronounced, explicit, express, unmistakable, not to be mistaken; undoubted, undeniable, indisputable, indubitable, Inf. open-and-shut; conspicuous, prominent, recognizable, noticeable, visible, perceptible, perceivable, observable, for all to see; overt, open, exposed, unhidden, unconcealed, unscreened, unveiled, undisguised, unmasked, uncamouflaged; bald, bald-faced, blatant, flagrant, glaring.
-v. 5. copyright, trademark; register, certify; originate, create, invent, discover.
paternal, adj. 1. fatherly, fatherlike; patriarchal, patriarchic, paterfamiliar; kind, kindly, kindhearted; fond, loving, devoted; indulgent, solicitous; concerned, regardful.
2. patrilineal, patrimonial; patrilateral.
paternalism, n. benevolent depotism; (all of an indulgent or benevolently overbearing nature) direction, management, administration; supervision, superintendence, surveillance, oversight, Inf. bossing,
paternity, n. 1. fatherhood, fathership, Archaic. sirehood or sireship.
My Account / Test History
When someone calls you, you answer the phone (or pick up the phone).
When you make a statement or some comments, we usually say the other person replies or responds.
When you ask a question, we usually say the other person answers. However, this is not 100% - reply and respond can also be used for answering a question.
When used as a noun (with a, an, the and possessive pronouns like my, your, his, her, etc.) the words answer and reply don't change - but the noun form of "respond" is response.