10. rather than, in preference to, in favor of.
11. north of, north from, northward of, northward from; toward the north; northwards, northerly, northwardly.
above all, first and foremost, in the first place, most important of all, before anything else, before anything; principally, chiefly, paramountly, supremely, pre-eminently; especially, particularly, peculiarly, expressly; mainly, primarily, essentially, mostly, predominantly.
-adj. 13. written above, above-mentioned, abovestated, aforesaid, aforementioned, aforestated; aforenamed, aforegiven, aforecited; already stated, previously described, described above, indicated earlier, previously indicated or specified; earlier, foregoing, preceding, precedent, former; antecedent, previous, prevenient, prior, anterior.
-n. 14. above-written, above-mentioned, abovestated, aforesaid, aforementioned, aforestated; aforenamed, aforecited, aforegiven.
15. heaven, firmament, sky, space, infinity; celestial expanse, the vault of heaven, the canopy of heaven; abode of God and angels, our Father's house, Abraham's bosom, heavenly kingdom, heavenly city; next world, world beyond the grave, happy hunting grounds, paradise.
aboveboard, adv. 1. overtly, openly, in open sight, in the open, out in the open, in full view, in plain view, publicly, in public, in public view, for all to see; up front, on the table; before one's eyes, Inf. under one's nose; to one's face, face to face, man to man, heart to heart.
2. candidly, frankly, forthrightly, directly, straightforwardly; explicitly, unequivocally, undisguisedly, plainly, in plain words or English, with no nonsense, all joking aside; outspokenly, freely, boldly, unreservedly, unrestrainedly, unconstrainedly, uninhibitedly, unshrinkingly.
3. truly, truthfully, veraciously; guilelessly, ingenuously, sincerely, artlessly, naively, simply, undecep-tively, undeceitfully, undeceivingly, without artifice.
4. honestly, uprightly, upstandingly; honorably, respectively, fairly, decently, justly.
-adj. 5. open, open and aboveboard, straight, square, square-dealing, fair and square, square-shooting, straight-shooting; legitimate, up and up, SI. on the up-and-up, up front, on the level, no-nonsense; honorable, respectable, reputable, creditable, estimable.
6. candid, frank, forthright, direct, straightforward, straight-from-the-shoulder, man-to-man, heart-to-heart; plain, plain-spoken, plain-speaking, downright, outright, explicit, unequivocal, unambiguous, undisguised, Inf. flat-footed; outspoken, free, free-spoken, free-speaking, unreticent, bold, unreserved, unrestrained, unconstrained, unchecked, unabashed, uninhibited, unshrinking.
7. guileless, ingenuous, sincere, genuine, artless, naive, simple, transparent, undeceptive, undeceitful, undeceiving, undissembling; true, truthful, veracious.
8. honest, upright, upstanding; fair, honorable, decent, just.
abracadabra, n. 1. incantation, chant, magic formula, magic word, invocation, conjuration; mumbo-jumbo, hocus-pocus, open-sesame; charm, spell, rune, Scot. cantrip; sorcery, magic, apotropaism.
2. gibberish, jabber, Jabberwocky, chatter, prattle, cackle, gibber; babble, babblement, prate, tattle, twaddle, Brit, twattle; patter, gabble, blather, rapid and inarticulate talk; jargon, gobbledegook; nonsense, balderdash, balderal, babbling, Fr. bavardage; humbug, flummery, SI. bunk, rubbish, Inf. rot, SI. garbage, SI. horsefeathers; hogwash, stuff and nonsense, fudge, foolishness, rigmarole or rigamarole, amphi-gory; poppycock, Inf. fiddle-faddle, Inf. piffle, drivel, Inf. bosh, Inf. kibosh, Inf. flapdoodle.