alone; get along, make do, get by, scrape by or along.
3. change gears, downshift.
4. change, exchange, make an exchange, commute, transpose, interchange, switch, swap, trade or trade in, substitute, replace. •
5. transfer, relocate, move, send from one place to another, reassign; move around, rearrange, change around, change the place or position of, alter, vary. -n. 6. change, change of direction; maneuver, move, swerve; transfer, relocation, reassignment; rearrangement, alteration, variation.
7. spell of work, stint.
8. expedient, device, contrivance, resource, resort; plan, scheme, strategy, strategem, Inf. wrinkle, artifice, trick, Inf. flimflam, ruse, wile, trap; subterfuge, blind, Inf. dodge, fetch; feint, deception, sleight, move, evasion, shuffle.
9. change, exchange, commutation, transposition, interchange, switch, swap, trade or trade-in, substitution, replacement. shiftless, adj. inefficient, lazy, idle, indolent, slothful, faineant, do-nothing, otiose; unindustrious, unenterprising, unambitious, nonaggressive; listless, Dial, limpsy, lackadaisical, insouciant, pococurante, easygoing, SI. laid-back; slack, lax, careless, negligent, neglectful, remiss, derelict; worthless, good-for-nothing, ne'er-do-well. shifty, adj. 1. tricky, crafty, artful, cunning, sly, wily, subtle, foxy, sly as a fox, Scot. and North Eng. pawky; shrewd, Archaic, parlous, sharp, astute, wary, Inf cagey; evasive, elusive, hard to catch, slippery, smooth, slick; insidious, guileful, disingenuous, scheming, plotting, designing, calculating, contriving; deceptive, deceitful, crooked, dishonest, underhanded, Inf. left-handed; false, false-hearted, double-dealing, two-faced, Janus-faced.
2. resourceful, clever, ingenious, inventive, Daedalian. shilly-shally, v. 1. vacillate, yo-yo, seesaw, teeter-totter; waver, be indecisive, be irresolute, hesitate, hem and haw; go back and forth, fluctuate, oscillate, alternate, blow hot and cold, tergiversate, straddle the fence. -n. 2. irresolution, indecision, undecisiveness, uncertainty, hesitation, hesitancy, hemming and hawing, wavering; vacillation, fluctuation, oscillation, alternation, blowing hot and cold, tergiversation, fence-straddling, fence-sitting.
-adj. 3. shilly-shallying, irresolute, undecided, uncertain, unsure, hesitant, hesitating, wavering; vacillating, fluctuating, oscillating, alternating, blowing hot and cold, tergiversating, sitting on or straddling the fence. shimmer, v. 1. glow, gleam faintly, shine; luminesce, incandesce, phosphoresce, make radiant or lustrous; illuminate, illumine, Archaic, illume, Obs. en-lumine; brighten, light up, cast light upon, make brilliant or luminous; radiate, irradiate, effulge; shine forth, beam, stream.
2. glint, glimmer, glisten, Archaic, glister, glitter, twinkle, sparkle; spark, scintillate, flame; flash, fulgurate, gleam, coruscate, glare; flicker, flutter, flare or flare up, waver, sway; quiver, shiver, ripple; oscillate, vacillate, fluctuate, move to and fro; quaver, shake, quake, tremble, twitter, shudder; undulate, vibrate, pulsate, throb; jerk, twitch, vellicate, jump.
-n. 3. glow, afterglow, faint gleam or glare, shine; luster, iridescence, incandescence, phosphorescence, radiance; brilliance, illumination, luminosity, luminance; refulgence, refulgency, refulgentness, effulgence; beam, ray, shaft, streak, patch, subdued or tremulous light.