intransigent, adj. 1. uncompromising, irreconcilable, implacable, unappeasable, inexorable; unrelenting, relentless, unmerciful, pitiless, hard-hearted, unfeeling; impervious, uninfluenced, unaffected, unmoved, unpersuaded, untouched.
2. unyielding, unbending, hard-line, strict, rigid, inflexible, cast-iron, hard-and-fast; immovable, unmoveable, unpersuadable, unalterable, unchangeable; firm, hard, hard as a rock, tough, hardened, hardcore, confirmed, inveterate, die-hard; stubborn, obstinate, pervicacious, pig-headed, mulish, obdurate, hard-headed, headstrong, willful, strong-willed; dog
ged, tenacious, persistent, insistent, pertinacious; determined, resolved, resolute, steadfast, hard-set.
intrepid, adj. 1. fearless, dauntless, unafraid, dread-less, aweless, Spartan, nervy, Sl. gutsy, Sl. ballsy, un-blenching, unblenched, undaunted, undismayed, unappalled, unalarmed; bold, bold-spirited, high-spirited, daring, dashing, adventurous, audacious, rash, reckless; brave, courageous, valiant, valorous, heroic, hero-like, stout-hearted, lionhearted, iron-hearted, great-hearted; virile, manly, manful, gallant, chivalrous, chivalric, tall in the saddle.
2. firm, resolute, indomitable, unconquerable, invincible, staunch, stanch, steadfast, stalwart, Archaic. stalworth, doughty, sturdy, hardy; unflinching, unshrinking, unyielding, unswerving, unwavering, unde-viating, unfaltering, unbending, unhesitating; mettlesome, plucky, gritty, game, tough, spirited, red-blooded, Inf. spunky.
intrepidity, n. 1. fearlessness, dauntlessness, awe-lessness, dreadlessness, intrepidness; boldness, boldspiritedness, high-spiritedness, daring, derring-do, audacity, audaciousness, temerity, rashness, recklessness; courage, bravery, valor, valorousness, valiancy, val-iance, heroism, prowess, stout-heartedness, lionheart-edness, iron-heartedness, great-heartedness, highheartedness; virility, manliness, manfulness, manhood, gallantry, chivalry, chivalrousness.
2. fortitude, endurance, tenacity, determination, will, will power; firmness, resolution, resoluteness, indomi-tability, indomitableness, invincibleness, invincibility, staunchness, stanchness, steadfastness, stalwartness, sang-froid, doughtiness, sturdiness, hardiness, hardihood, bulldog courage; mettle, pluck, pluckiness, spirit, backbone, gumption, blood, heart, nerve, grit, U.S. Inf. sand, Inf. starch, Inf. spunk, Sl. cojones, Sl. guts, Sl. moxie.
intricacy, n. intricateness, complexity, complexness, knottiness; perplexity, nonplus, puzzlement, enigma, puzzle, riddle, conundrum; labyrinth, maze, anfractu-osity, tortuosity; snarl, knot, Gordian knot, tangled web, web.
intricate, adj. 1. tangled, entangled, raveled, twisted, knotty, convoluted, involute, mazelike, labyrinthine; anfractuous, sinuous, tortuous; circuitous, roundabout, winding, serpentine; jumbled up, chaotic; Byzantine, rococo, ornate.
2. complex, complicated, kaleidoscopic, daedal; perplexing, mystifying, puzzling, enigmatic; arduous, difficult, thorny, trying, tough, Inf. tough to figure, Inf. nasty; crabbed, obscure, unfathomable.
intrigue, v. 1. interest, attract, absorb, appeal to, fascinate, pull, draw, rivet one's attention; stimulate, arouse, pique, stir, excite, tickle, titillate; beguile, divert, charm, captivate, carry away, seduce.
2. puzzle, baffle; worry, perturb, concern, disturb, bother.
3. finagle, wangle, contrive, machinate, manipulate, finesse; scheme, plot, conspire, complot, cabal; devise, hatch up, concoct, maneuver; frame, stoop to conquer, get the better of, seize the opportunity.