misjudge, miscalculate; disprize, hold in disrespect, look down on, set no store by; sneeze at, spit upon, Inf. look down one's nose at; despise, scorn, contemn, be contemptuous of, disdain; feel contempt for, hold in contempt, revile, depreciate, disparage, Inf put down, ridicule, discredit, poke fun at; belittle, minimize, talk down.
underfoot, adv. under the feet, beneath one's feet, on the ground; underneath, under, down, below, on the underside.
undergo, v. 1. experience, go through, pass through; encounter, live through, live out, meet with, meet, taste.
2. endure, bear, sustain, tolerate, take patiently, suffer through, brook, submit to, brave; abide, stand, withstand, put up with, weather; permit, allow, suffer; swallow, stomach, pocket, digest, underground, adv. 1. subterraneously, subterraneanly, by or through a tunnel or underpass, by subway or the metro; under or in the ground, in a cave. 2. secretly, in secret, privately, in private, in a hush-hush manner, sub rosa, out of view, behind closed doors, in seclusion; covertly, clandestinely, surreptitiously, furtively, stealthily, on the sly, sneakily, sneakingly; underhandedly, under-the-table, under-the-counter, through the back door, illicitly, illegally, unlawfully.
-adj. 3. subterranean, subterrestrial, hypogeal, hypogeous, belowground, below the surface of the earth; buried, sunken, covered with dirt or earth.
4. secret, undercover, hidden; covert, clandestine, surreptitious; underhand, underhanded, backdoor, under-the-table, under-the-counter. See undercover.
-n. 5. underworld, hell, abode of the dead, nether regions; Hades, Sheol, Orcus, Dis, Avernus.
6. tunnel, underpass, subterranean passage or passageway, CB Radio, hole in the wall; (both of mines) gallery, corridor, Mining, drift, Mining. crosscut; subterrane, mine, cave, burrow, hole, pit; grave, tomb, sepulcher, hypogeum, crypt, vault.
7. resistance, opposition, guerillas; subversives, in-surrectionaries, insurgents, seditionaries, incendiaries, saboteurs, fifth column, fifth columnists; revolutionaries, radicals, extremists, terrorists, U.S. Weathermen.
8. Chiefly British, subway, underground railroad, metro, Inf. tube; MTA, BMT, IRT.
undergrowth, n. 1. underbrush, underwood, underbush; brush, brushwood, scrub. See underbrush.
2. down, fluff, fuzz, peach fuzz, baby feathers, underlayer, Zool. undercoat, Bot., Zool. pubescence, Biol, lanugo, Bot. tomentum; pelage, fur, feathers, plumage, wool, hair.
underhanded, adj. 1. dirty, unfair, below-the-belt, against the rules, underhand, Inf. left-handed; deceitful, treacherous, perfidious, double-dealing, two-timing; dishonest, immoral, sinful, bad, wrong, wrongful, unconscionable, unscrupulous, dishonorable; corrupt, misfeasant, malfeasant, crooked, under-the-table, under-the-counter, (of politics) backroom, shady; unauthorized, illicit, illegal, unlawful, criminal, felonious, bootleg; sneaky, clandestine, surreptitious, hugger-mugger, undercover, stealthy, furtive, covert, secret; insidious, shifty, guileful, artful, Machiavellian, scheming, crafty, designing, plotting, calculating, sharp, slippery, cunning, wily, foxy, snaky.
2. undermanned, understaffed, short-handed, short a hand or worker, short of workers, underlay, v. undergird, underprop, underbrace, underpin, underset; brace, prop, prop up, shore up, bolster up, support, stay; reinforce, bolster, strengthen, underlie, v. form the foundation of, be at the bottom of, be the basis of; support, sustain, maintain, bolster, bear, upbear, bear up, uphold, hold up, hold, See also underlay.
My Account / Test History
When someone calls you, you answer the phone (or pick up the phone).
When you make a statement or some comments, we usually say the other person replies or responds.
When you ask a question, we usually say the other person answers. However, this is not 100% - reply and respond can also be used for answering a question.
When used as a noun (with a, an, the and possessive pronouns like my, your, his, her, etc.) the words answer and reply don't change - but the noun form of "respond" is response.