regretful, regretting, repentant, remorseful,
painful, adj. 1. achy, aching, hurtful, sore, Med. algetic; throbbing, palpitating, tingling; biting, raw, piercing, sharp, bitter; burning, stinging, smarting.
2. tormenting, distressing, distressful, disquieting, disturbing, worrying, worrisome, perturbing, harrowing, afflictive; pestering, harassing, irritating, annoying, irksome, troublesome, Archaic, troublous, wearisome; vexatious, vexing, aggravating, exasperating, galling.
3. unpleasant, unpleasing, disagreeable, distasteful, uninviting; undesirable, unacceptable, unsatisfactory, unwelcome; insufferable, hateful, execrable, loathsome, horrible; disgusting, odious, revolting, nauseating, repellent, repulsive, nasty, hideous.
4. grievous, sad, dolorous, tragic, tragical; dismal, disheartening, dreary; melancholy, unhappy, unfelici-tous, infelicitous; piteous, pitiful, deplorable, lamentable, rueful; affecting, moving, touching, poignant.
5. laborious, toilsome, operose, exacting, demanding; difficult, hard, tough, strenuous, rigorous, arduous, uphill; hard-earned, hard-fought, hard-won; burdensome, onerous, heavy, cumbrous, hefty, weighty, ponderous; oppressive, insupportable, unbearable, unendurable; destructive, ruinous, calamitous, disastrous.
painkiller, n. 1. analgesic, aspirin, acetylsalicylic acid, sodium salicylate, buffered aspirin, headache powder; anodyne, paregoric, Inf. pain pill; soporific, hypnotic, barbiturate, SI.
barb, phenobarbital, Pharm. hyoscyamine, belladonna; narcotic, opiate, opium, laudanum, morphine.
2. palliative, alleviative, lenitive, assuasive, assuager, sedative; depressant, drug, remedy, cure-all.
3. balm, soothing balm, liniment, embrocation; lotion, salve, ointment; labdanum, ladanum.
4. cocaine, laughing gas, novocaine, tetracaine.
5. Informal, alcohol, whiskey, Inf. booze, SI.
hooch. See - alcohol.
painless, adj. 1. unpainful, without pain, unpain-ing, causing no pain, Inf. ouchless; dulling, deadening, numbing, anesthetizing.
2. fast, quick, expeditious; all over before you know it, over in the blink of an eye.
3. Informal, effortless, easy, facile, simple, downhill, All Inf. easy as 1, 2, 3 or ABC, easy as pie, easy as rolling off a log; a piece of cake, a pushover, a snap, a cinch, smooth or clear sailing; All SI.
no sweat, child's play, a breeze, duck soup.
painstaking, adj. 1. careful, meticulous, punctilious, scrupulous, conscientious; exact, precise, accurate, correct; particular, finical, finicky, picky, fussy, fastidious; thorough, searching, strict, close, attentive, attentive to detail, sparing no pains.
2. thorough, thoroughgoing; persistent, pertinacious, dogged, plodding, slogging, plugging, industrious, operose, energetic; persevering, unremitting, un-relaxing, unfaltering, untiring, tireless, never-tiring.
3. diligent, assiduous, sedulous, hard-working; intense, intent, concentrating, steady, earnest, zealous; occupied with, engrossed in, wrapped up in, absorbed in; rapt, enrapt, enraptured, studious.
paint, n. 1. pigment, dye, stain; color, colorant, coloring, tint, tincture; oils, pastels, water colors.
2. coat, coating; primer, undercoat, flat coat, ground, dead-color; calcimine, whitewash, flat wash, wash, Brit, distemper; enamel, varnish, lacquer.