articulation, n. 1. enunciation, pronunciation, vocalization, utterance, phonation, voice, voicing; delivery, presentation, attack, force of utterance; elocution, diction, dialect, speech pattern, manner of speaking, mode of expression; articulating, pronouncing, vocalizing, enunciating; saying, expressing, uttering; delivering, presenting.
2. intonation, inflection, modulation; emphasis, accent, accentuation, stress, syllable stress.
3. verbalism, vocable, speech sound, phone, Phonet. consonant, Phonet. semivowel.
4. union, unification, connection, junction, conjunction, conjugation, joinder, jointure, linkage; joining, jointing, conjoining, bonding, linking, coupling, bracketing, yoking.
5. joint, juncture, intersection, nexus, connexus, point of union or contact; link, tie, bind, knot, yoke; coupler; miter, dovetail joint, rabbet, rabbet joint; pivot, hinge, elbow, knee.
artifice, n. 1. stratagem, trick, wile, ruse; intrigue, plot, plan, scheme, strategy, machination; conspiracy, complot, cabal; device, contrivance, expedient, Inf. dodge, fetch, subterfuge, blind; maneuver, feint, deception, sleight, coup, blow, stroke; shift, move, evasion, shuffle.
2. cunning, ingenuity, inventiveness; cleverness, skillfulness, adroitness, dexterousness, adeptness, deftness; facility, facileness, quickness, readiness, aptness, brightness.
3. trickery, deceit, guile, craft, craftiness, shrewdness, wiliness, slyness; artfulness, subtlety, finesse; duplicity, doubledealing, cheating, cozenage; fraud, imposture, imposition, hoax.
artificer, n. 1. inventor, creator, originator; deviser, contriver, machinator; designer, artist, architect; maker, builder, constructor, erecter, framer, fabricator, manufacturer.
2. craftsman, handicraftsman, artisan, artistic or skillful workman; operative, mechanic, machinist,
artificial, adj. 1. man-made, manufactured, constructed; synthetic, ersatz, plastic, pseudo, simulated, imitated, imitation, ungenuine, Inf. phony; unauthen-tic, SI. hyped-up, sham, make-believe, bogus, mock, fake, specious, brummagem; spurious, bastard, supposititious, false, counterfeit, fictitious, unreal; adulterate, adulterine, adulterous, alloyed.
2. factitious, feigned, so-called, pretended, assumed; forced, labored, strained, contrived, engineered, SI. hokey, SI. hoked-up; unnatural, affected, mannered, stilted; stagy, theatrical, overacted, overdone; insincere, hollow, meretricious, pretentious.
3. conventional, traditional, orthodox, rigid, arbitrary,
artillery, n. ordnance, cannon, mortars, howitzers,
mounted guns; Mil. battery, enginery, Mil. fieldpieces; ballistae, catapults, culverins, falconets, jingals.
artilleryman, n. artillerist, gunner, cannoneer, Hist. bombardier, fusileer.
artisan, n. craftsman, handicraftsman, master craftsman, master, artificer, Obs. artist; skilled laborer or worker, journeyman,
artist, n. 1. master, old master, past master; artiste, virtuoso, maestro; talent, genius, prodigy, giant, Inf. wizard or wiz.
2. artisan, craftsman, artificer; expert, adept, masterhand, proficient, SI. no slouch.
3. trickster, deceiver, cheat, fraud, swindler, confidence man, SI. con man or artist, bunco artist, Inf. shyster, Inf. flimflam man; fox, sly dog, sharpie, horse trader.
artistic, adj. 1. beautiful, attractive, lovely, handsome, pleasing to the eye; exquisite, magnificent, of consummate art, in the grand style; harmonious, symmetrical, well-proportioned, well-composed, well-done, well-grouped, well-arranged.