3. unpolished, unsophisticated, unrefined. See - homebred (def. 2).
homestead, n. 1. estate, country estate, manor, country manor, country seat, house and grounds, house and lot, Brit. Dial, toft; demesne, Law. messuage.
2. farm, farmstead, grange, farmplace, Archaic. farmhold, Brit, farmery, Brit, croft, Brit, homecroft, Scot. and North Eng. steading; ranch, rancho.
3. home, home sweet home, abode, place where one hangs his hat, Scot. and North Eng. bigging; hearth, hearth and home, hearthstone, fireplace, fireside, chimney corner, Brit. Dial, ingle, Brit. Dial, ingleside, Chiefly Brit, inglenook or ingle nook; domicile, dwelling place, dwelling, dwelling home, residence, residency, habitation, Scot. howff; retreat, refuge, hermitage, hospice, shelter, sanctum, sanctum sanctorum.
-v.4. settle, occupy, inhabit, populate, people, colonize, establish,
homesteader, n. settler, colonist, colonial, colonizer; squatter, nester; pioneer, sooner; frontiersman, trail-blazer, trailbreaker, pathfinder; backwoodsman, woodsman, backsettler.
homeward, homewards adv. homewardly, homeward bound, home, to or toward or at one's home, back home, to one's family or native land or homeland.
homicidal, adj. murderous, death-dealing, killing, lethal, mortal, deadly; cruel, brutal, blood-thirsty, bloody-minded, sanguinary, bloody, bloodstained; ferocious, violent, wild, berserk, amuck, maniacal. See - murderous (def. 1).
homicide, n. 1. murder, manslaughter, slaying, killing, bloody or foul killing or slaying, murder most foul, assassination, (in India) thuggee, SI. hit; patricide, matricide, parricide, fratricide, sororicide, uxoricide, infanticide, regicide, vaticide. See - murder (def 1).
2. murderer, killer, slayer, manslayer, man-killer, cutthroat, thug; assassin, liquidator, bravo, sniper, gunman, silencer, dispatcher; All SI. gun, hired gun, hit man, triggerman, torpedo, hatchet man. See - murderer (defs. 1, 2).
homily, n. 1. sermon, preachment, lecture, harangue, screed; parable; lesson, instruction, teaching, talk.
2. discourse, address, speech, oration, declamation, Rhet. apostrophe, salutation, valedictory; treatise, study, thesis, dissertation, descant, essay,
homogeneity, n. identicalness, identity, sameness, oneness; uniformity, regularity, constancy; consistency, consonancy, accordance, agreement; similarity, similitude, likeness, resemblance, semblance; comparableness, comparability, analogousness; equivalence, parity, correspondence, correlation, parallelism,
homogeneous, adj. 1. identical, the same, one and the same, all one, all alike, alike, of a piece; uniform, regular, constant, unvaried, unvarying; consistent, consonant, accordant; homogenetic.
2. similar, like, comparable, corresponding, correspondent, correlative, parallel, analogous; cognate, connatural, allied, connected, akin,
homogenize, v. emulsify, blend, compound, combine, coalesce, fuse, merge; standardize, equalize, stereotype, make uniform, Fig. boil down,
homologous, adj. similar, like, comparable, analogous, corresponding, correspondent, parallel; relative, cognate, connatural, allied, connected, akin; uniform, regular, constant, consistent, consonant, accordant.