portable, adj. 1. movable, conveyable, transferable, transportable, transmittable, portative.
2. compact, small, bantam, pocket, pocket-sized, vest-pocket; handy, convenient, manageable. portage, n. 1. carriage, conveyance, cartage, haulage, porterage, waftage, waft; transport, transportation, transference; shipment, freight, freightage, truckage.
2. fee, toll, charge, charges, demand, fare, exaction; towage. portal, n. entrance, entry, entryway, entree, inlet, ingress; access, opening, adit; door, doorway, gate, gateway, wicket, postern, Scot. post; threshold, stile, turnstile. portend, v. forebode, foretoken, foreshadow, foreshow, omen, augur, presage, presignify, preindicate, promise; warn, forewarn, warn in advance; foretell, forecast, predict, prophesy, prognosticate, vaticinate, Obs. auspicate, Rare, premonish. portent, n. 1. omen, sign, indication, token, foretoken, harbinger; premonition, preindication, forewarning, foreshadowing, handwriting on the wall; augury, prognostic, prognostication, prediction, prophesy, prefigurement.
2. (all of an ominous nature) import, importance, moment, significance, first order, first rank, weight, gravity; concern, Archaic, concernment, consideration, interest; urgency, exigency.
3. phenomenon, SI. phenom, marvel, wonder; prodigy, miracle, sensation; sight, spectacle, eyeopener, SI. stunner, SI. mind-boggier, SI. mind-blower, SI. trip; rarity, nonpareil, nonesuch, one in a thousand, one of a kind, Inf. one for the books; marvelment, wonderment, Inf. gazingstock. portentous, adj. 1. momentous, fraught, charged, heavy, laden; serious, grave, weighty, consequential, significant; crucial, critical, climacteric, eventful, pivotal, decisive; major, landmark, considerable, vital, of vital interst, all-important, of the utmost importance, high-priority, earthshaking; important, of importance, of significance, of consequence, of weight, of moment, of concern, of interest, not to be overlooked, Inf. not to be sneezed at.
2. ominous, foreboding, bodeful, ill-boding, boding evil, ill-omened, of evil portent; inauspicious, unpropi-tious, unfavorable, unpromising, unfortunate, unlucky, ill-starred, ill-fated, star-crossed, doomed from the start; menacing, threatening, lowering, looming, dark, black, sinister, heavy, gloomy; bad, evil, malign, malignant.
3. phenomenal, extraordinary, out-of-the-ordinary, prodigious, remarkable, wondrous, marvelous; amazing, astounding, astonishing, miraculous, surpassing belief, fabulous, fantastic, SI. far-out; indescribable, mind-boggling, SI. mind-blowing, SI. trippy; staggering, breath-taking, SI. stunning. porter1, n. 1. skycap, redcap, baggageman, retainer; carrier, conveyor, transporter, carter, bearer; cupbearer, shield bearer, stretcher-bearer, water-bearer, waterboy, caddie, busboy.
2. janitor, concierge, maintenance man, cleaning man, cleaning woman, sexton. porter2, n. doorkeeper, gatekeeper, doorman, portress; sentry, Cerberus, watchman, turnkey, jailer; ostiary, durwaun, receptionist.
portfolio, n. 1. case, folder, folio.
2. account, scrips, investments, shares, debentures; stocks, bonds, stocks and bonds.
3. office, bureau, post, position, function, jurisdiction.
4. dossier, documents, papers, credentials.